Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
An early apology for the silly title. But the real question is why do we put up with Apple's schedule for updating products? Of course we have to, that's the answer.

Take the mini for example...how many other companies could release a computer and not give it any significant updates (9/06 doesn't count) for over a year? The mac pro is in the same case as it has for years (it's cool, but getting old). The imac still looks the same as the G5 imac released years ago, with very little change. The ipods are the same, relatively, as they have been since fall 2005! It seems like the significant updates are getting fewer and further between.

I was just thinking this over and wondering how apple is allowing their linup to stagnate.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The Apple II looked pretty much the same for 18 years. Come back if we're getting close to that again.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I hate threads like this.

I don't care if Apple doesn't change a damn thing for 10 years. No updates, nothing. I don't care if Leopard is never released.

People like you (OP) are impossible to please. Something new comes out, and you love it for a day, then come the complaints. Never satisfied.

I've had my PowerBook G4 for almost 2 years and I still love it. I wouldn't change it or trade it for a MacBook Pro, necessarily.

No own is being "pwnt" by Apple. As a matter of fact, they take better care of their customers than any company, in any industry, than I have ever seen in my life. Ironically, their customers are the most spoiled, most difficult to please group of people I have ever known (not everyone of them, you know who you are).

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Why change a winner? The design of Apple's current desktops, notebooks and iPods are the best in the industry. They don't need to change case designs or whatever every 6 months.

As for internal updates, Apple's current desktops and notebooks are on par with what everyone else has currently. Their notebooks and the iMacs are all Intel C2D and have been since early November. The Mac mini is nothing more than a low cost entry level system, but I'm sure it will be upgraded from the Core Duo to the C2D soon enough.

So I'm not really sure where you're coming from. They don't need change just for change sake. Apple seems to be doing pretty well these days with how they're doing things.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
"Someguy" if you don't like threads like this than don't click that mouse. I am not impossible to please, it is just a question. I think the designs are great. If you are happy with everything, then good for you. This whole website is about what apple is doing next, and this is a discussion about what apple is doing next.

If you look at any other manufacturer of computers, their specs are changed on a pretty frequent basis. Even if you don't change the case, then get up to date with the processors at least. Maybe you got a little grumpy waiting for your G5 powerbook!

supermario19

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
You mentioned iPods, are you forgetting the new shuffles, and the new nano's? That was all within the last year (don't have the exact dates) but thats definetly an update.
But you are right, I would like a new iMac design to go along with leopard.
mmmm, leopard

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
The designs are great, yet you are unhappy with the fact that they haven't been changed? :rolleyes:

Instead of whining about how Apple is forcing us to "put up with" their schedule for updating products, why don't you tell us just what you think should be changed and how your changes would make the product better?

Or better yet, tell Apple about your ideas. They are the ones who can actually do something with them.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Yep you are right, I forgot about the other ipods. I have a nano and a 5g ipod, and am happy with those. Actually, maybe they shouldn't update them that way whatever I get I'll be happy that it doesn't get replaced with something better! :rolleyes:

The one I'd really like to get updated with is the mini. And, since you asked, here is my idea:

-HDMI output
-an option for a graphics card, happy to pay for it, yes the integrated one is fine for most ppl but a higher cost option would sell great IMHO if it had one. Maybe the upcoming intel one would be fine (x3000).

Basically, I would like a true appleTV substitute that could allow me to surf the internet on the TV and do more than extending my itunes. One that would allow me to play some amount of games.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Change for the sake of change is pointless. The high rate of technological progress has inflicted that disease in a lot of people though. ;) They get jittery if something stays the same for a few months. I wonder how they'd fare if sent back in time a millennia or two ago, when typically nothing much changed for hundreds of years....

--Eric

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Instead of whining about how Apple is forcing us to "put up with" their schedule for updating products, why don't you tell us just what you think should be changed and how your changes would make the product better?

Oh that is easy.

Have infinitely more BTO options. Why are Mac Pros all Quad currently? Dell has been shipping Octo core machines since November! Why does a Mac Mini need a 1.83Ghz processor to receive a SuperDrive? I want a SuperDrive with a Core Solo 1.5 if I feel like it fits me budget more. Why are all Macs limited to a single resolution? Well since Apple choose to put in the screen nobody requested for the piss poor resolutions that Apple offers.

Apple may be in it for the whole experience, but count me out. I prefer to customise my own experience. And I believe I know what I want better.

It is one thing to be defensive of Apple, but admit it or not, their practices do leave much to be desired. If anything Macs still come across to me as machines tailored for people who needs to be told what they want, and that whole "Think Different" marketing campaign is an outright blatant lie that flies in face of all truth and reason.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Have infinitely more BTO options...Why does a Mac Mini need a 1.83Ghz processor to receive a SuperDrive? I want a SuperDrive with a Core Solo 1.5 if I feel like it fits me budget more.

I definitely agree with you. There should be a 'super-budget' Mac Mini for people who only need a Mac for 'basic' computing.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
1) The Mac Pro is aging, but it was a beast when it first came out, and still is a very very good computer.

2) The Mac Mini is getting old, and Apple should upgrade it. But the all Core Duo upgrade was big for the Core Solo Mac Mini. They should drop the price also.

3) The iPod 5.5G could use an upgrade, but the Nano and Shuffle are fine

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Even if you don't change the case, then get up to date with the processors at least.

Aside from the Mac mini (which as I mentioned before is a low cost entry level machine), what Apple systems aren't up to date with their processors? The MB, MBP and iMac are all certainly up to date.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I find the constant changes by other companies really annoying.

The thing is that Apple makes a great product the first time and does not need to follow the rest of the computer market by releasing something with only slight modifications every other minute

supermario19

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
Oh that is easy.

Have infinitely more BTO options. Why are Mac Pros all Quad currently? Dell has been shipping Octo core machines since November! Why does a Mac Mini need a 1.83Ghz processor to receive a SuperDrive? I want a SuperDrive with a Core Solo 1.5 if I feel like it fits me budget more. Why are all Macs limited to a single resolution? Well since Apple choose to put in the screen nobody requested for the piss poor resolutions that Apple offers.

Apple may be in it for the whole experience, but count me out. I prefer to customise my own experience. And I believe I know what I want better.

It is one thing to be defensive of Apple, but admit it or not, their practices do leave much to be desired. If anything Macs still come across to me as machines tailored for people who needs to be told what they want, and that whole "Think Different" marketing campaign is an outright blatant lie that flies in face of all truth and reason.

I definetely agree witht the part about being more customizeable. I would love to get a 24 inch imac, but with a lower processor so its a bit cheaper, and still get the dvd burner.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I have an iMac G5 Rev A and it was one of the first shipped. People STILL, over two years later, marvel at it. Seriously, joe schmoe doesn't even know it exists let alone that it's an 'old' design. I can't count the number of times I've gotten 'is that *really* the whole computer?!?'. So maybe it's outdated to those of us in the know, but that doesn't take away it's awe factor.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The Mini sucks. Until it has a built-in juicer, I just won't be happy. Ooh, and a bicycle pump. I mean, come on Apple!! Catch up!

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
Apple's Mac designs (MacPro, iMac, MBP, MP, Mac Mini) are great. Find me another workstation, desktop or notebook design in the industry that can touch them. If they do make changes they should be incremental and not sweeping changes. Better yet, just keep updating the internals and add more options.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Having just bought a new iMac, it would make me feel pretty crappy if they changed the machine so radically...but that's besides the point. The 5.5 G iPod is aging, as is the mac pro and the mac mini. The design though (with the exception of hte iPod), is still good imo. But dont worry change will come...it always does. I wouldn't be surprised if by this time this year every single computer apple made had some serious design change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.