PWR G5 1.6,ext HD recomendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newf, Dec 2, 2008.

1. newf macrumors newbie

Hey all,I'm a future mac virgin,getting my bro in law oldie(that smokes my PC) very soon ,can't wait to join the Force,but 80gig don't cut it for me been looking at simpletech 160 ext hd usb 2.0 also want to boost my mem and install leopard.should I set up the ext hd before or after the upgrades,thanx.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It doesn't matter if you set up the external disk drive before or after the Leopard upgrade. Just make sure, that it is formatted in a way that you benefit from.

If you move the disk drive between Windows and Mac OS X make sure to format it in FAT32 (called MS-DOS under Mac OS X), so both OS can read and write to it.

If you want to use it solely with Mac OS X, just format it with HFS+ (Journaled or not look here).

Or do you mean something else by "setting up"?

3. newf thread starter macrumors newbie

That answers my ?,thanks.I think I should use FAT32 so I could take all my pics and itunes from my PC and transfer to my mac,but after that I have no need for PC usage,at that point could I then set it to be part of my mac permanently.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use HFSExplorer (free) for writing to an HFS+ formatted volume under Windows, or you could transfer the files (if not tons of GBs) via a network, so the external could be just formatted in HFS+ (miles better than FAT32 (or MS-DOS as Mac OS likes to call it).

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

I would max out the RAM (4GB?) and get a larger hard drive if I were you. Then I would actually probably run Tiger on it and not Leopard... but that's me.

6. newf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm receiving it with Tiger on it, any reasons I should leave it and why so much mem,mostly using for pics,vids and music