Mac Python's tkAqua is broken by 10.6 upgrade, how do I fix it?

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I just upgraded from Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.6, and now "Python quit unexpectedly" every time I execute certain functions. The error printed to the terminal says:

Tk_MacOSXSetupTkNotifier: first [load] of TkAqua has to occur in the main thread!

Anybody know how I can fix this? I really don't want to change my Python version right now, I am using Python 2.5 (r25:51918). Thanks.

pnelis

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Solved it...?

Sorry, no help, but I have exactly the same problem and wondered if and how you might have solved it in the mean time?

Thanks a lot.

Piet Nelis
The Netherlands

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The error Python is giving you suggests to me that Python isn't broken, but rather the program you're writing in it is. Tcl/Tk doesn't like being initialized from threads other than the main one... if you try (for instance, the first GUI window your program creates is to display a progress bar for some long task, and the task is entirely self-contained in a thread) you'll get that error.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Oh man.

That was a long time ago.
- - Post merged: - -

PyQt is better that TKinter. That is a note to myself a decade ago. PyQT is from Nokia in Finland.

PyQt4 is good. They HAVE Qt5, you should use a web app instead at that point. You should also like - I don't know. Use GTK+ or something.