Q about carry-on liquids/gels/etc plastic bag...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm going to fly to the east coast tomorrow, and I am wondering about the carry-ons. Does it have to be quart-sized zip-loc bag? Or can it be any size (like sandwich-sized which I have)?

Thanks in advance...

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They'll give you a bag for your liquids at the airport. They are generally the size of a sandwich bag, but remember that each individual container can only contain 100ml of liquids (as a maximum, so a 200ml container that is 1/4 full isn't allowed). Also 100ml is actually a really really small container.

The US may be slightly less restrictive on the rules, if you want to risk it, it really depends on the airport staff.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Some airports have bags, some don't, best to bring your own. Yes, in general it can't be bigger than quart sized.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

:shrug: I've never been to an airport that doesn't give out bags.

Here are the rules for Heathrow (they seem to be the same the world over, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Dubai have the same rules as the UK).

5. dcv macrumors G3

They're not. The 100ml rules still apply as does the size of the bag - but yeah, they'll provide you with a bag if you don't already have one.

And even then, some airport staff will still try to argue with you about the bag even though that airport gave you that particular bag when you travelled through that way just the week before... :rolleyes: Bunch of twunts!

6. shecky Guest

shecky

so make sure that if you do pack any liquid explosives that its no more than 100ml.

TSA = fearmongers.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm waiting for the terrorist who puts explosives in his underwear.

Then we'll all have to fly naked!

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I want to get a catheter, buy a plane ticket, fill the bag to the brim, and then walk through security. I wonder if I'd get an instant go to jail card for that one.:rolleyes:

I've never seen any airport actually hand out plastic bags to people. They all say they do, so you get in the security line and wait and then when you get to the front of it, you might ask for a bag and all I've seen is security yell at people at how irresponsible they are for not having a bag and then they make them throw their stuff in the trash can--oh, I guess a plastic bag is provided after all. It just doesn't get to go with you.

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

... so a sandwich-sized zip-loc bag is fine, or not?

11. Roric macrumors regular

So you should take an additional, partial dose of medication? They are encouraging/requiring the misuse of medication? Taking it contrary to doctor's and recommended directions? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!

My last flight was in April 2001, and I have absolutely no desire to ever fly again.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yes, it's fine. It just can't be larger than a one quart bag.

13. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Wow, I had no idea that they were so ridiculous! Roadtrips and cruises for me...

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

sounds fine, so long as it's not more than 20x20cm

15. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I flew about three weeks ago through Rochester, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Dayton and they didn't give any of the civilians plastic bags at any of those airports. They may or may not have had their own, I couldn't tell.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Attached Files:

17. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

It says "quart-sized", not "quart-sized or less" or some such. That's where the confusion came from, I wasn't sure if it HAS to be quart-sized, or can it be any size up to that size?

You fail.

To the rest: thanks guys!