Q? about file permissions & calendar

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ifruitfly, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ifruitfly macrumors member

[adding this edit on (pi-eve lol) 3.13. ok you can read my post and all if you want, but in the interest of expediency and brevity, here is all you need to know:

"anyone know the commands on how to set file permission(s) for the calender app in terminal, please ??"]

a while ago i SSHed my calender, contacts, texts, etc, after getting a replacement phone. afterwords, i discovered that the messaging app was crashing. thanks to the great help from this board, i learned it was the file permissions and i had to change them...

now i have found that i cannot add new appointments into the calender app; no crashing or anything, just will not add a new event after the info as been imputed... so i am thinking file permissions?

( this is what fixed the messaging app:
    chmod -R 0755 /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS
    and
    chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS )

does anyone know what command to run in order to get the calender app buck up to full functionality?

AND, two other things really quick: 1, since JBing with blackra1n, NYTimes app keeps crashing, uninstall/reinstall etc does not work. do you think this could also be file permissions, and if not, any ideas?

2. how in the world do you guys know this stuff?!?! i mean is it just a lot of experience with the mac OS, or did you guys study computer science? i have gotten some GREAT help from this board when i have been in some bad jams. and because of how helpful everyone has been, i would like to "give back" to the community. i think its only right to GIVE as well as take. i don't want to just be a "taker". but i read these posts, and i don't know the answer to all but the simplest questions, which already have plenty of redundant answers. so im just curious how you guys know all this stuff. i didn't know that "file permissions" even existed let alone what they did until someone on here told me that was the cause of my problems...

anyway...much thanks!!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why didn't you just Sync your calendar thru iTunes, then Sync it back to new phone ? So much easier...

3. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

yeah i know... life gets too boring when you just take the easy road... lol, no seriously, i was under the false impression that restoring from a backup would wipe, or otherwise adversely affect the clean JB. so i unnecessarily made things more complicated than they needed to be... i did, however, save the backup folder outside of itunes just in case. i have been tempted to do a restore from the older backup a few times, but am concerned i may screw up more things that i might fix? i don't have my SHSH backed up on cydia so i need to be really careful or i may have to live with 3.1.3....:( besides, now i have a bunch of new apps, etc etc, would you still do a restore from backup even if the old restore point is ~ a month or so old?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Syncing back your apps, contacts, music, photos, movies, calendar has nothing to do with restoring to backup. Your backup is your settings, saved games, texts, etc.

So, you can choose set up as new (which I do everytime) and then sync back your stuff. So very easy !

And I will tell you from everything I have read, trying to SSH this stuff in is almost always a FAIL !

5. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

ahh, i misunderstood. i never did sync the calender bc aside from the one on my wall, the one on my phone is the only other calender i use... whats more, when i connect to itunes, the calender section is grey, not syncable/clickable (not recognized by itunes). although i cannot be sure if this is bc i never synced it before or not, i don't think it is. i suspect it has to do with file permissions...bringing me right back to square one.

6. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

bump...

anyone know the commands on how to set file permission(s) for the calender app, please ??

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If you have iFile you can try to just browse there and set the permisions for read write to mobile

8. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

in ifile, when i go to: private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar and click property list i get an error that says:

" Property list /var/mobile/Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb invalid: Conversion of data failed. The file is not UTF-8, or in the encoding specified in XML header if XML. "

9. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

ok one last try

anyone know the commands on how to set file permission(s) for the calender app in terminal, please ??

i know someone on here knows how to do this or where to find out... so please tell me because i keep missing appointments ever since the calender wont let me add new ones!!

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You're doing the wrong thing in iFile. You're touching it and then trying to open it as a PLIST file, which is wrong. Hit the blue arrow next to it to access the properties for that file. Other than that, google 'chown' and 'chmod'. Those are the commands you need to use.