Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
i have a B&W G3 and a Yikes G4, both running 10.4.9. I want to use a router so i can have both machines online at the same time.

i basically understand the connection of the cable modem to the router to the 2 machines, but everything i see for sale is wireless.

since neither of my machines have wireless cards (and i don't even know if there are any for these computers) i would like to use a router that is hard wired.

i'm assuming this would also be cheaper than getting wireless cards for each machine, etc. and money is a major factor here.

i can't even find a non-wireless router. can someone recommend a good one? am i asking some stupid questions here? i have never networked two computers together before and am hoping this will be as painless as possible.

help a noob? TIA

btc

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
A switch will not allow both computers to access the internet at the same time unless there is something handling routing and NAT (network address translation.) You will need a router. I believe many, if not all, wireless routers also contain a hardwired switch, at least this is the case with Linksys. Here is one example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190. It has 4 ethernet ports in addition to the wireless.

Older Linksys models (802.11b only) if you can find one can often be had for very little money... I got mine for $5 after rebate about a six months ago. You could put an extra ethernet card in one of the macs and use the built-in internet sharing in osx. I would just go with the router though.

Good luck.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As Poeben said, you do indeed need a router and NOT just a switch to share an internet connection. You can still get wired routers with built in switches to actually plug your machines in to. I had a Linksys BEFSR41 for years and it was great.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Usually you can't go wrong with Linksys or Netgear

Personally, I like the Linksys WRT54G. It has 4 ports for normal Ethernet cables plus it can do wireless as well.

You can get it at Amazon for about $50.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Sorry, you guys are right. :eek: I totally forgot that many consumer switches had routers built in (or the other way around, depending on how you look at it).

That said, there are still plenty of wired routers/switches available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.