Q: Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Gutwrench, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

We plan to go to Apple today to discuss this but I'm most interested in any feedback from this community.

We do not have cable or Direct TV signal to our house. We do not watch television at all. However, my wife streams many shows from Chinese websites to her MB Air.

If we bought a television and an Apple TV would she be able to wirelessly stream the shows from her Air to that television?

Is Apple TV a 1:1 relationship with a television or can one Apple TV device be used to stream a signal from her Air to two TVs in separate rooms (1:n)?

Can any iOS device take advantage of Apple TV?

What other advantages could she (we) gain from Apple TV?

Any other advice or ideas is much appreciated.

2. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Hi. You need one AppleTV per TV, as it only has one HDMI output on the back.

You can AirPlay from an iphonen4s or ipad2 and up to your appleTV.

Other advantages are that you could rent movies from iTunes, and stream media from your computer to your TV.

3. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

Yep, you can use airplay to display anything on your MB air to your TV using a ATV3. It will show simply your desktop (and anything displayed on it); however via airplay the quality is less than via normal streaming either via iTunes direct from the ATV3.

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Just to correct this, you can AirPlay Mirror with those devices, but you can AirPlay pretty much any video/audio/pictures on almost any iOS device.

5. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Airplay mirroring is what you want. ATV serves as a portal for some web hosts (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc), iTunes, and can mirror your Mac provided you have the right specs.

6. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your help very much.

7. DP812 macrumors regular

A note on Airplay Mirroring, you'll need Mountain Lion for it. Also, I'm not sure what MBA your wife has, but mine is a 2011 and Mirroring can be pretty processor-intensive, and it heats up very quickly. I've had some lagging because of this, so just FYI.

8. Raegor macrumors member

Can you airplay your live webcam or is there alternative software to accomplish this either through ios or laptop?