Q: Are the 12mp cameras the same?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddH, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Hey all, do any of you know if the iPhone 7 & 7plus cameras are the same? I know you the 7 was redesigned and new, but I wonder if the plus model has the same f/1.8 camera and sensor. I would think they would be, but I read where the 7 had a larger sensor than that of the plus because of its dual lenses. Can this be confirmed?

Thanks guys.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

From Apple.com:

"iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t have just one entirely new camera system — it has two. The same 12MP wide-angle camera that’s on iPhone 7 works with a 12MP telephoto camera that can get even closer. That means you can get higher-quality zoom from farther away. And with an all-new depth-of-field effect (coming soon), portrait shots will look better than ever."
    Emphasis mine.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It is not just dual lenses - the 7+ has dual cameras. One with wide-angle lens, and a second with a telephoto lens.
    (beat me to it!)
    So, two cameras, implying that there are two separate sensors.

4. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Yeah I saw the keynote, but I'm not interested in a 2x telephoto at f/2.8. I'll never use that. I like fast optics. F/1.8 is much better than f/2.2 for sure. I read on a flipboard article that the iPhone 7 was to have a larger sensor than the plus; a 1/2" or so sized sensor and the plus having a 1/3" sensor. That is why I was asking because I was considering the 7 this time.

I know the 7plus has two separate cameras. I was just wondering if the 7 f/1.8 camera was larger than the 7plus f/1.8 camera sensor

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm not sure how this is unclear. The specs for the 7's camera are clear, and the 7+ has that camera and an additional "telephoto."

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Implying? I am thinking there are two sensors. One for the WA lens and another for the tele.

7. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Yeah I know that. My question was: is the f/1.8 sensor for the iPhone 7 larger than the f/1.8 sensor in the 7plus because it is by itself in the phone and not paired like the 7plus. The telephoto lens in the plus if f/2.8, the wide angle is f/1.8, a full stop faster. I don't think the data is listed, I just read it in an article and was wanting to know if any of you can back it up???

8. skidu macrumors member

I think the OP is referring to this article posted a few days ago

http://www.neowin.net/news/iphone-7-name-confirmed-through-leak-along-with-specifications

The 7 allegedly comes with a larger 1/2.6″ sensor and the Plus model uses the same 1/3″ sensor as in the 6S.

Which would give the 7 an advantage in low light over the Plus. Although the aperture figures are slightly off in that article so who really knows the truth...

Hopefully there will be a breakdown in weeks to come

9. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

EXACTLY!!! That's the one. Is this correct?

10. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Pretty sure the standard camera on both phones are identical. The plus has a second camera module (separate sensor, lenses, etc) that is completely separate.

11. skidu, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

skidu macrumors member

No idea, i watched the keynote back again this morning to see if they actually mentioned anything about the sensor size but all I got was 'large pixels, 60% faster and 30% more energy efficient'. It was rumored somewhere on this site that it used this sensor which is indeed 1/2.6″ (although it supports 4k/60 too which the iphone doesn't...so maybe not)

https://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP...ts/IMX377CQT_ProductSummary_v1.5_20150414.pdf

But i guess w'll find out when people have both phones. I'm still debating whether to go for the 7 or 7Plus, i've already got a 5dmk3 and G7x so the fake bokeh doesn't really interest me much but a 56mm focal length could be interesting. However, if it's a smaller sensor, coupled with the 2.8 aperture i'd rather have 1.8 with 1/2.6"

12. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I agree.. I'd rather have the larger sensor also even if that means a smaller iPhone.

13. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Man...that is about the oddest thing I have ever read in regards to photo-anything. So, assuming you have a real camera, IE one that is not on your phone and you can adjust the aperture on your lens, are you saying you never stop down? And it is not a telephoto Broseph, it is actually about a 56mm lens, hardly a telephoto in it's own right but considerably more "telephoto" than the standard 29mm F1.8 on both phones.

Since I always have a camera with me where ever I go, Leica M3, M6, Rolleiflex, I hardly use the camera on my phone but if it were the sole reason I would be buying a phone, having something other than a 29mm 1.8 would be pretty useful I would think.

But that is just me, an actual full time working pro for the past 30 years.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

Its a legitimate question. The iPhone 7 appears to have a larger glass than the dual 7plus.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm looking at pictures again and I think they're the same size. There were so many mockups that I remembered it wrong.

15. skidu macrumors member

16. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I have a Nikon D810 and just bought the Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED and I use the aperture all the time. I just think the tiny iPhone optics at f/2.8 will only be good in brighter conditions. My comment was specifically about the f/2.8 iPhone lens. The 6s camera already produces that aggressive noise reduction (watercolor look) in low light, the f/2.8 is going to be really much worse, I would think...

17. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

No doubt that the 1-1/3rd stop difference might be significant ( T-stops?? ) but both cameras will employ OIS and have a brand new sensor and image processing system...they are not going to be worse than the 6S and I would suspect that even the 56mm 2.8 2x camera on the 7+ would be a good bit better than the 29mm 2.2 on the 6+ due to all these factors.

I skipped the 105 1.4E, I am tending away from physically big lenses anymore, favoring the 35mm 1.4 FLE and 50 Summicron for my Leica bodies.

18. skidu macrumors member

Just for reference, the S7edge uses a 1/2.5" sensor which is 17.5% larger than the current sensor in the 6S, and if Apple were to adopt the 1/2.6" sensor it would narrow that down to only 5% smaller...

The S7E uses a f1.7 lens too #facepalm

19. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Not anywhere close to a professional but I too am leaning toward the 7. The one thing that confuses me is how the 7plus lens is referred to as "wide angle" but the lens on the 7 is not.

Just a marketing thing to distinguish from the telephoto lens?

20. skidu, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

skidu macrumors member

Anywhere from 35mm>24mm is considered Wide Angle, anything below 24mm would be UWA or Ultra Wide Angle - Telephoto is generally 70mm and greater - 56mm is pretty 'standard' really and close to what the human eye sees in terms of perspective.

So the wide angle term is actually correct since it's 28mm but the telephoto is a bit of a stretch.

But you're right, the only reason they've put it on the plus is to differentiate the two.

21. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

LOL, calling a 56mm lens a telephoto vs the "normal" perspective of a 50mm lens is indeed, only a bit of a stretch.

Well played!

22. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

W
    Well it's apples version of the Oloclip 2x telephoto I'm guessing
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    I just wish the front camera was f/1.8.

23. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple is not going to make anything in the 4.7" better then their flagship 5.5" model! That why it is called "flagship".

24. deadsoul macrumors regular

Let's see if they have already fixed the excesive noise reduction present in photos on the 6/6S producing washed out photos otherwise it's gonna be same thing all over again.

I miss my 5S it was perfect :(

25. upritbass macrumors member

No. In iOS 10 the 6s and later will have the ability to capture raw photos.