Q: Auto file naming in TextEdit possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmcrider, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mmcrider macrumors newbie

I've just come over from the 'Dark Side' having been freed from the 'MicroSith' Empire and I'm really enjoying my two new Macs. I'm taking some extra time to set it up like I want. I'm interested in productivity.

Is there a way to cause TextEdit to take the first line or the first so many characters of the file and use it automatically as the name of the file? As I work I come across lots of questions I need to ask of a co-worker in another state. And, since we play phone tag so much, I would like to capture QUICKLY what I want to ask and save it and get back to work. I'll drop in a folder on the desktop. Then, when I do get to talk to my co-worker, I can just navigate to the folder and look at the filename for a reminder of what I wanted to talk about. I can quickly determine which items need to be discussed first if our time is limited. I can open the file, if there are more details that I need to see. Or, perhaps QuickLook will allow me to read the contents without opening.

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. Any help anyone can give me will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

TextEdit has no support for this. As I said in your other thread: the full source code for TextEdit is available: you could add this yourself if you can write Cocoa/Obj-C...

3. mmcrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Robbie. I'm off to www.rentacoder.com to see if I can get someone to write this for me.

Matt