Q: Can i restore a really really old backup into the new iphone 5 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sbojevets, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sbojevets macrumors member

the last iphone i had was the 3G model back in 2009 and before i sold it i made a back up in my laptop. i was running iOS 3 back then when i made the backup and if my memory served me well a restore from backup will bring the phone back into its previous state - with the photos, messages and contacts etc.

am i right on that so far? so if i am and i wish to restore from an old backup will my iphone 5 show me messages and photos i had from 2009? i am just curious to see if iOS version difference would make the restore impossible

cheers

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

i don't think this will work. i had my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0 and tried to get the backup on my iPhone 4s with 5.1.1 and it told me that the backup is from a different iOS built and cant be used

3. DefBref macrumors 6502

You can backup from backups created in earlier iOS versions, but not the other way round which is the reason the previous poster got an error message. He was trying to restore a 5.1.1 backup to a 5.0 phone, so it wouldn't work.

Although, I doubt anybody has tested such an old backup to a new iOS.