Q. Can iTunes 10 and 11 share 1 library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cosmichobo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

SHORT VERSION:

Can I share 1 library of music/apps/etc over machines that run both iTunes 10 and iTunes 11?

LONG VERSION:

With more and more iOS devices in my household (currently 2x iPhone 3GS, an iPad Retina, an iPad Mini, and an iPhone 5S), things were getting a bit messy with 2 different iTunes libraries - one on my desktop (iTunes 10, G5 PowerMac) and one on my laptop (iTunes 11, MacBookPro).

(I also use a G4 Mac Mini as a HTPC, so it would be nice if it could access the iTunes library too.)

So I merged both libraries using the MBP onto an external hard drive connected to my 2011 Airport Extreme, thinking that would solve my problem... But the PPC machines couldn't access the library that was created by iTunes 11 on the MBP... and nor can they run iTunes 11, as they aren't compatible...

I re-merged the libraries using iTunes 10, but have just read that if I open the library using iTunes 11, it will convert it, and make it unusable by iTunes 10.

How can I set it up so that both PowerPC and Intel Macs can share the 1 common iTunes library???

Thanks,

cosmic

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't. iTunes 11 will want to convert the library thus breaking iTunes 10 compatibility.

the only way you can get this to work is to maintain two libraries, one for iTunes 10 and one for iTunes 11

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

:( I don't like your answer. I want to substitute my own reality instead!

:p

What about keeping the existing iTunes 10 library on the external drive, and then having iTunes 11 refer to the music/etc files, but have its own local library file???

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

asking for trouble.

5. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I have to agree. Unfortunately I think your only/best option would be to retire the PPC Power Mac look at a newer replacement that could run iTunes 11.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

While you can't share the library you can share the media. For every system, in Preferences -> Advanced, uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder". Keep the media in a separate location -- the media doesn't have to be on the system running iTunes.

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

But sharing the media means you have the extra work of copying it into each iTunes library. The OP said he used two machines now with the possibility of adding a third.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I didn't say it was easy :) just that only one copy of the media was necessary.

9. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Thanks for the replies! But now I'm confused :confused:

Untick the "Copy to.." option - ok, so iTunes just refers to files where they sit, right? Doesn't make its own copy.

So, why the next comment that I'll need to copy the files into each library?

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You have to copy links to the files to each library. This becomes an annoyance if you frequently add new songs. Not really an issue if your library is mostly static.

11. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Is this where I whinge that Apple are forcing people to upgrade ($$$) their computers...

And then someone else tells me to suck it up and buy a computer that isn't 8+ years old...?

:rolleyes:

Yes, I know I need to upgrade the G5, and I've been pricing 20 and 24" iMacs... that's about as modern as I can afford at the moment.

I guess the G4 Mini (which someone gifted to me to replace my Gen1 AppleTV that continually froze up) will just have to make do...