Q. Gonna put a 2TB drive in my Time Capsule...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by C8XY, Dec 20, 2009.

1. C8XY macrumors 6502

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i recently swapped out the 500GB drive in my dual-band time capsule with the 2TB green
    quiet and cooler.

just be careful with those screws on the 500gb drive in the TC as they tend to strip easily for some reason.
    maybe it was just my screw driver :confused:

but overall i think youll be fine and should work great for you.

goodluck, post back to know how it works out.

3. C8XY thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, will do!

Just wanted to make sure the drive would be recognised and not draw more than the original.
    What glue did you use to re-attach the temp sensor?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just a few pointers. Format the drive as HFS+ using Disk Utility before making the swap. It doesn't hurt to format it once more once it's inside the TC from the Disks tab of AirPort Utility. And about the temperature sensor, if you're careful in prying it off, the adhesive surface will still be tacky enough to hold it in place on the new drive. I've done the swap myself and that was the only uncertainty holding me back until I decided to go for it. You'll be fine.

5. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

hmmm quite fancy doing this too!

works out cheaper than buying the time capsule again! are there any hardware differences between the 500gb tc and the new 2tb ones?? im sure i read that the time capsules fail very early on, say around 12-18 months so wondered if apple had improved the cooling at all

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Can't comment on the cooling, but the new TCs have an improved range and supposedly faster TM backups using SL than the first and second gen ones (and it goes without saying that if you have a first gen, you don't have dual band/guest networking either :p).

7. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Oh right, how do I know what model? It's a feb 2009

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Since it's a 500GB, it can only be either first gen (non-simultaneous dual band) or second gen (simultaneous dual band). But judging from the date you gave, I'd say it's a first gen. You can tell by the model number if you can post it. Or just open up AirPort Utility and see if you are able to set up simultaneous dual band networks. If not, it's definitely first gen.

9. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

thanks mate, theres no option for that that i can see so im sure its 1st gen!