Q: How Do You Deal With Duplicate Songs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by redAPPLE, Apr 13, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys,

how do you deal with duplicate songs?

situation no. 1: let us say, i got one R.E.M. album. and i got the R.E.M. greatest hits album (or insert any album and a greatest album of the same band or singer). i don't want to delete the duplicates, because i might wish to listen to the album from start to finish sometime.

situation no. 2: i have a singer or band's album and one song (or maybe two) is also available in a soundtrack.

the thing is i try to keep my music files organized. maybe you guys got tips. thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I usually just delete the song, but you could name it differently and not listen to unless you're listening to the album start to finish. Or you could just delete it and have a playlist for each album and use one of the songs for both the CD and Greatest Hits CD with it on it again and delete the other.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is one of my pet peeves with iTunes. i wish apple would introduce a mutli-album feature for tracks. but anywho...

1. i keep 'em both. only because sometimes i prefer to listen to the greatest hits over an album, but i want them both to be complete.
    the other option is to make a playlist of the greatest hits. but i've been lazy

2. i delete the songs from the soundtrack album, but keep the band's album. the soundtrack is typically much less important to listen to in its entirety imo.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I keep them, unless they're exactly the same recording.

For instance, I have five versions of U2's Bullet the Blue Sky, from the album and various live performances.

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I delete from the Greatest Hits and recreate it as a playlist, if I think I'll want to play them in that order. I dislike duplicates because it makes the play counts misleading (sad, I know). :eek:

6. natemonster macrumors member

natemonster

i know if you copy an duplicate song (same artist, same album, same everyting) to an ipod, it basically copys one and makes an alias of the other so when it comes to that song, it plays the other one again. ;)

7. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

What needs to have happen in iTunes is they should have a way so when you view duplicates songs, you can select the songs you want and say ignore or this is not a duplicate. That way the next time you pull it up, those songs you chose to ignore will not be present. For instance i have like 6 cds, and they have an instrumental version for each song. So every single song shows up under the duplicates.