Resolved Q: how to disable sleep mode when lid closed.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LiquidWordz, Oct 9, 2012.

1. LiquidWordz, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

LiquidWordz macrumors newbie

hello,

I find it annoying that every time i close the lid on my rMBP it goes into sleep mode.

What's more annoying is the fact that my network connections stop, my downloads stop and i am left hanging, even need to reboot sometimes.

(E.g. i was downloading bootcamp support software for win 7, mac went to sleep and i kept getting an error, that my network was faulty, even tho i can write this and go online no problem, i did even try to renew my DHCP lease, no luck, have to restart again)

i know the following command in terminal "should" fix this, however...i am a mac n00b, just unpacked my 1st mac ever, and would like to know if it actually does anything apart from mucking things up.

sudo = run command as a superuser

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Will this work? and will my screen still power off but the actual machine will still be on, I.e. still connected to my network and doing bits and bobs i have assigned it to do?

if not, what other commands are there to have the Mac SCREEN POWER OFF, but the actual MAC ITSELF STAY POWERED ON.

I would like to do this through the terminal and use of commands rather than the use of programs written by other users.

If however the terminal will only carry me so far, apps would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    /Liquid

2. LiquidWordz, Oct 9, 2012

LiquidWordz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jezzastern macrumors newbie

Try downloading a small program called Caffeine and starting it a login. This program can be activated as desired, and will prevent the your macbook from going to sleep.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off. However, it will not keep a Mac notebook awake with the lid closed.

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

6. LiquidWordz, Oct 9, 2012

LiquidWordz thread starter macrumors newbie

ill try no sleep and see how it gets on, i only now realized that the heat comming off of the keyboard might damage the screen, i will look into it while using no sleep, carefully :p

Cheers.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios