iPad (Q) How to upgrade to iOS 6x/7x from Jailbroken 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by azurev, Nov 10, 2014.

1. azurev macrumors newbie

i have always found 5.1.1 being the most stable iOS for my iPad2, but recent app updates have been ceased because they require iOS 6 at least.

The problem is now that I have lost my stock backup before the jailbreak of my 5.1.1 and I read that direct update to 6x is impossible because it may brick my iPad. Also, OTA Update will bring me directly to iOS 7.

anybody knows the solution to this?

I am fine with either iOS 6 or 7, whichever is most performance and battery friendly, but I want it to be jailbroken again after the update.

thanks beforehand.

2. ntegra macrumors regular

I think ios7 might be the most battery/app friendly? Can the iPad 2 even run ios8?

Anyway, you can only update to the latest available firmware since updating OTA or through iTunes verifies the OS on their servers.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Only choice is 8.1 which runs fine on a iPad 2
    JB with pangu8 from pangu.io

6/7 and 8 JB are just as stableas the 5 JB

4. ivandr macrumors regular

8.1 may run on an iPad 2 but I've read multiple accounts of it being much slower on an iPad 2 than 7.1.2

TriJetHero is correct in that your only update option is to go to 8.1 because that is what Apple is signing right now.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Runs fine on my ipad2

There are many reports on JB problems, boot loops, battery drains etc etc
    Most are user error related like trying to JB on a OTA restore, installing incompatible tweaks.

Happens everytime after a new JB release.

6. ivandr macrumors regular

Oh I totally agree that (at this stage) most boot loops, battery drains etc are user error due to incompatible tweaks, bad jailbreak process (JBing OTA updated software etc).

I was simply pointing to the multiple articles online talking about how slow iOS 8 runs when compared to the relatively stable 7.1.2 release.

Here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/a-slide-into-obsolescence-ios-8-on-the-ipad-2/

or here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6552856

You may have a good experience on your iPad 2 with iOS 8 however you can't claim that your experience means the universal experience of everyone else's iPad 2 with iOS 8 matches what you see. A lot of people find it incredibly slow and noticeably moreso than on iOS 7, and I was simply trying to warn the OP that this is an issue being brought up around the interwebs.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Actually no user error w the ipad 2 and the pangu jb, it was the jb itself that was causing all those issues since I had them happen (random restart boot, drains, slow, safari reloads, heat, etc) on my sisters ipad 2 when I DFU restore and jb as new for her. I didn't update it to .4 because she was sick by the instability of it by then so I just restored hers to vanilla and sideloaded moviebox, the only real use of the jb for her in the ipad.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

All those were fixed in .4/1.2.1 release.
    Some are still experiencing problems, which is something that happens frequently after initial JB releases with ppl just clunking anything on there device, together with old plist files it is bound to cause problems.

That is not to say the odd or more frequent problems are not real or annoying, but what ivandr states is more the otherway around, some ppl having problems does not mean the JB or device is slow per definition, you don't read about all the ppl who have it running smoothly, mainly you read about ppl with problems.

That being said especially with ppl on fully loaded devices with older CPU the newer iOS will cause some slowness.

9. azurev thread starter macrumors newbie

So you guys are saying there is no problem with the iOS 8 on iPad2, but here is the thing. According to the software update option in iPad settings -> general, the OTA update will bring me to iOS 7x.

Question is, will it be safe if I simply update it OTA? My iPad2 is currently on Jailbroken 5.1.1. I read somewhere doing so may brick my device.

What should I do then?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Plug it to iTunes and hit restore.
    That will bring you to stock iOS 8.1
    You cannot ota update to anything but the latest iOS version.
    All prior to iOS 8.1 versions are not signed so you cannot update ota to them even if you wanted to.

11. azurev thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright then. Thanks for the suggestion. If I downloaded the ipsw of iOS 7, can I manually upgrade it to iOS 7 safely then? Straight from jailbroken 5.1.1

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    It's not possible.
    iTunes won't allow it to install. There's many security checks and verification that has to be done with apples restore and activation servers that currently cannot be bypassed.
    If there was any other options we would have told you above.

13. azurev thread starter macrumors newbie

No wonder I kept having error notices when I tried to do that to iOS 6x. Thanks a bunch.