Q: iPhone 4 + iPad2 vs. iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sentinelsx, Oct 26, 2011.

1. sentinelsx, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Hello all. I am trying to decide between the two options. I have a SGS2 that I am planning to sell and have some extra cash. I was thinking if paying $375 for an iPhone 4 (16gb-locked) + $500 for an iPad2 (16gb/wifi only) for a total of $875 is better than paying $850 for an iPhone 4S (32GB/unlocked/includes tax).

thanks.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. kimyr0501 macrumors newbie

I recomend iphone4 + ipad2

buy if u can afford 4s plus ipad2 would match great ;)

4. aleni macrumors 68020

iPhone 4 + iPad 2 for sure. iPhone 4 is no slouch.

but i have the 4S and iPad2 though. i always own the new shiny toys by apple because we are mortal. we can be dead tomorrow or the next after tomorrow. who knows :D

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Really depends how much use you'd get out of the iPad. Personally, I love mine, but an iPad doesn't make sense for everyone. Evaluate your needs and then decide. But personally, I'd go for the iPhone 4 + iPad 2. For me, an iPad is easily more valuable than the functional difference between the two phones. Though I'd definitely miss the camera and Siri, but I'd probably miss my iPad more.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I vote 4S. You spend a lot more time with your phone than the tablet.

I started with the 4 and iPad 2, but picked up the 4S less than a week later.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Without a doubt, I would go with the iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. The iPhone 4 is a great phone...

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

iPhone 4S is vastly superior over the 4. It's the best iPhone yet.

Ad in an iPad 2 and you're all set.

I wouldn't suggest an iPhone 4 to anyone. It's phone is just dreadful.

Yet very few have the courage to be honest. They have bought into the Steve Jobs School Of Denial. A testimony to the mans influence and mastery of brainwashing.

Shortly after last years Antennagate debacle, Apple quietly hired specially trained Antenna engineers. Their work is proof positive that this years phone has a greatly improved Antenna. One that Apple's so happy with they brag about it.

It's good that Apple finally admitted they lied, and actually fixed the problem. Even if it is a year late and costs the customer the price of a new phone.

No one ever said it's an economical proposition to own Apple gear. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't. Such is life.

10. Lightey macrumors regular

Yup. The iPhone 4S which is pretty much the same thing is so much better.
    I've had both, and the 4S isn't much of an improvement, save for the camera and Siri.

If the iPhone 4 was that bad, I wanna know what god phone you were using.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I had no problem with the iPhone 4. I probably wouldn't have even switched to 4S if I didn't have an upgrade and didn't want the white iPhone.

12. jivemaster macrumors member

As and Android and iOS user, I would actually say get the 4S.

Ever since I got the 4S I have barely touched my iPad. It's like my little personal pocket iPad. Also of the 3 devices, the 4S is the newest and will give you the most life.

It's very dependant on what screen size you need. I have a large Android screened phone which is my daily driver, so I don't need the bigger iPad screen as much.

13. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

You forgot about all the dropped calls with the 4.. The 4S significantly improved my call quality and I can finally hold more conversations...

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

^This^ is the best advice so far. iPhone4 + ipad is silly if you wouldn't really use the ipad. Figure out your needs / usage and make the choice that best fits that. This includes whether 16GB will be enough storage.

Also, there a little bit of apples to oranges comparison in iphone4 locked vs iphone4S unlocked; if you're willing to buy a locked version of the phone, why pay more for the unlocked 4S? What is the price of a locked 4S?

15. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

First thanks to all for the replies, and wow so many in favor of first option i felt like going that way haha :)

Well I cannot buy a locked 4S. Reason is we in Canada have 3 year contracts and are only allowed HUP at month 30 of our contract. If you want earlier upgrade, they multiply the difference between 30 and your current contract month with $20, add the phone pricing and a $35 activation fee. Include the tax and the quote my carrier gave me was $680 with taxes in for a locked 16 GB 4S. I would rather spend $649+tax for an unlocked in this case....

Also i was considering iPad because i read pdfs (got lots of online notes and ebooks etc) and watching videos on the tiny screen isn't really that fun.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Makes sense on the locked/unlocked 4S.

ipad is great for PDF reading -- for annotating/highlighting there are good apps, I use PDF Expert which syncs to Dropbox and other sources.

Given these two requirements, the ipad2 + iphone4 sounds like a better fit to your needs.

17. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

yeah I have decided to just buy a cheaper i4 and will probably just get the 5/6 next year. Would rather spend my limited budget on a tablet.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Disregarding everything else, the iPhone 4S has the superior antenna.

19. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The iPhone 4 is only available in 8GB now

20. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

Many carrier stores in my area are actually selling the 16gb ones still. Also there are lots on sale on kijiji/craigslist :)