Q: iPhone (out of warranty) replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shastada, Jul 19, 2016.

1. shastada macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB (space gray).

I have figured out that the lightning port is bad, it will stop charging/syncing with the slightest touch/movement and some cables don't work at all. I've resigned myself to replacing the phone out of warranty.

Apple quoted a 329 price for replacement. I have a couple of questions before my genius appointment next week.

Do they make any attempt to repair or do they only do replacements?

Do you know when they replace the unit if you can change from one color to another or are you stuck with the identical model you had? I wouldn't mind changing colors if possible.

Also is there any discounted upgrade path available instead? So instead of paying 329 for a replacement could I get a 6S Plus 64gb for a little more with a 'trade-in' or will that not be offered since it's broken?

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/other

They would replace it with exactly the same device, so a 64GB space gray iPhone 6 Plus. They do not allow you to change colors, sorry mate. Nor would they give you much of any trade-in value for it, as it does not work properly; Apple's trade/recycling partner requires that the phone be in working order to get the trade value.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If it's something they can't repair, they will just give you a replacement unit. I would back up your device just in case.

They will replace the unit with the identical model you have. If you want to have a different color, you'll need to buy a new one.

AFAIK. for the trade in to work, the device must be working 100%. There must be no water damage or anything like that.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You are already getting a discount.

The base price from Apple is around $749. How much more of a 'discount' do you want?

Also, Apple does not ever allow upgrades when replacing. You get back exactly what you give them and then if you want to trade in for credit you can, but you cannot change color, capacity, unlock status or model when you replace.

The reason for that is to prevent people from breaking their devices on purpose and getting 'upgrade's' for cheap.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you tried cleaning the port first? It's the most common issue with the port.

6. shastada thread starter macrumors member

I've tried this, it helps minimally, but there seems to be some play or movement with the port so I'm thinking there is something breaking loose inside.

Thanks everyone else for the clarification on the replacement policies.

7. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

if its out of warranty you still maybe be able to get it swapped, think back to bendgate...

8. mantan macrumors 68000

I had a similar issue. My 6 was broken (GPS didn't work) and couldn't be fixed. Apple offered the $299 replacement. I had a hard time justifying spending $300 on an older model. I thought about it for a day. I considered getting the refurb and trading it in, but decided to put the same amount down toward a new 6s through AT&T Next.

I can sell or trade my 6s in a year and still have options. My replacement 6 would have minimal value in a year.

Note - this was also influenced by the lackluster rumors around the 7 and the potential lack of a headphone jack...which is a deal breaker for me.

9. laudern macrumors 6502a

Where do you live? Depending on your countries consumer laws you may be entitled to an out of warranty repair free of charge.

10. tubeexperience, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can always just try and trade it in and see what they give you for it. They'll look over it and tell you there what it is worth as part of s trade up. I wouldn't specifically mention an faulty port unless asked.