[Q] iStat Menus 4 cpu fan speed problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BB.King, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BB.King macrumors regular

Hi all,

I installed iStat Menus 4.04 on my new retina MacBook Pro 13”, and now the fans will not automatically increase when the CPU gets hot ( around 95 Celsius). I can set the fan speed manually via iStat Menus fan control, but this is not an ideal solution.

Is there a way to have iStat installed and lets the OS control the fan speed?

Or is there a program can set fan speed based on CPU temperature? I've tried both Fan Control 1.2 and smcFanControl 2.4.

The fan setting in iStat is set on default, and I have reset both the smc and pram without any effect on fan speed.

Many thanks

2. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

Are you sure they aren't ramping up, my fans don't really become audible till they get over 3000 RPM. I have iStat Menus 4 too and my rMBP has no problem controlling the fans as components get hot. I don't think they speed up early enough for my liking, but it's the same whether iStat is installed or not, the latest rMBP's just run hot.

3. blahblahguy macrumors newbie

Came here to ask the same question, as my temps were 96C sustained and the fans would continue to idle between 1900 and 2100 rpm (as reported by istat menus, and I heard no audible difference in the fan noise). Setting on istat for the fans was default.

I had rebooted a couple times because I was concerned that something wasn't right.

While running hot (95C reported by istat menus, 1900-2100 rpm on the fans) I uninstalled istat menus 4, and installed Hardware monitor. Hardware monitor initially showed the temperature as 90 but then I audibly heard the fans ramp up to higher speed and the temp dropped down to 83C.

I quit and removed hardware monitor, reinstalled istat menus, and now the fans ramp up when the temperature spikes. I shutdown the laptop, powered it back up, loaded the same programs again and did the same activity, and I see istat menus report the temperature rising to about 90C then the fans now kick up their speed and the temperature drops to 83-87C, with the fans running between 3500 and 4000 rpm. Setting on istat for fans still set as default.

I'm not sure what changed, but now my fans do ramp up with istat menus installed.

I have not reset SMC (this is my first mac, have only had it about 10 days), but I did install the 10.8.3 update and the update for what I believe was the sandisk/fan speed issue (no updates available now).