iPhone Q: Jailbreak features?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shawns, Feb 4, 2013.

1. shawns macrumors newbie

just heard a new jailbreak has popped out of the oven.

I ve never owned or jailbreaked iphone before , so just got a iphone 5 which is locked to a carrier but the seller didnt tell me that.

So im thinking if i jailbreak it will there be any software (sooner or later) which can change the imei or unlock the carrier?

I have seen there was something called (an app) Ziphone which unlocked the carrier instantly and for free.

And since i dont know anything about jailbreaks (for apple) ive jailbreaked non apple products several times.

But please tell me what will i miss out on using? Like if you jailbreak the PS3 you cant go online or use PSN

What cons like these come with the jailbreak?

----------

And what is cydia?

2. clockworkorange macrumors regular

For IMEI Unlocks, you will have to use one of the many widely available unlocking sites (paid, of course), one of the most popular here is Unlock_Fusion (look for it on Ebay).

Only the AT&T version can be unlocked, the Verizon or Sprint Version cannot be unlocked, unless you buy it factory unlocked from Apple. ZiPhone, is ancient and I believe it only worked for the original iphone, ut won't work with your current hardware.

While jailbreaking is liberating and everything there are a few things you will miss out on, I will list a few (other's can add to the list if I forgot something):

- Lose the Ability to install updates Over-The Air (OTA)
    - Some apps on the App Store restrict use if the app detects a jailbreak (I'm looking at you, Time Warner Cable App)
    - Can't update to the latest and greatest ios version, and with that, any critical bug fixes (some very major bugs and issues have actually been patched by jailbreakers before Apple!)
    - Stability (while the evasi0n team and Cydia devs have done a terrific job squashing major bugs and issues, there's just no way to tell if the apps and tweaks will cause problems, either with each other through use).

3. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

NVM, above was a better answer...

4. shawns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I saw a guy on youtube unlocking his iphone 4s with an app (jailbroken 4s)

In that app he could choose which carrier his phone was locked to , there was a huuuge list of carriers to chose from.

Are you sure nothing like that will ever be released for the ios 6.xx jailbreak?

5. clockworkorange macrumors regular

Not sure about this, of the unlocks I know, the only software one that comes to mind is Ultasn0w or Gevey SIM (if it even is unlock software, I thought it was hardware). mind linking the video here, maybe a veteran unlocker can answer it with more certainty.

6. shawns thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD2lDarre5U

7. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

There are actually cracks that let you get around this. The iPad Cox Cable app did the same thing, but I was able to find a crack that removed this restriction. I believe it was called xCon.

8. clockworkorange macrumors regular

That unlock method is Ultrasn0w.

Currently, Ultrasn0w is not compatible with the iPhone 5, not sure if it's even being worked on anymore.

here's a quick summary of unlocking methods available (not all are available for the iPhone 5):
    http://absinthejailbreak.com/unlock-iphone-5-on-ios-6-possibilities/

What carrier is your phone locked to?

Awesome, thanks for the info :)

9. shawns thread starter macrumors newbie

its locked to tele 2

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Save yourself the time and just use unlock fusion. Your iphone will be 110% sim free after not relying on a software patch. If its sim free it often fetches more when you sell it on too.

11. clockworkorange macrumors regular

I'm not from the European region, so you'd have to ask someone from that region if this site is legit, if so, Tele2 (norway) is listed as a compatible carrier to unlock

http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/pricing.php

however, it's not available at the moment, you can pre-order and get placed in the queue and just wait. or try searching eBay for a Tele2 unlock.

12. shawns thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what they replied:

You'll pay more.
    A pre-order simply means that those unlocks are currently offline whilst we are in negotiations to confirm a price with the carrier and Apple. Hence why the price is always £19.99. Please note this isn't the final unlocking price which may be substantially more expensive - see the pricelist for typical unlock prices, they vary between £29 and £119 so expect something in this region.
    Once our negotiations are concluded, you will be emailed the final price which will also be on the website, and you can then complete your order and purchase the full unlock, which will be discounted by £19.99.
    This gives you the opportunity to get unlocked the fastest way, rather than having to keep checking our website to see if the unlock is online yet.