(Q) Keyboard malfunctions on A1342 MacBook laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Member2010, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Member2010 macrumors regular

Got an interesting one here today: My "white polycarbonate A1342 Core2Duo" MacBook is exhibiting some odd symptoms with its keyboard. Most of the keys work, but some keys will tend to not respond at all. The funny thing is that if you press the nonresponsive keys enough times, random keystrokes are sent to the computer; for example: At this very moment, the "P" is one of the nonresponsive keys. If I press it once, nothing happens, if I press it a multitude of times, it will eventually type "p0-/000" and [return] for me. In the same way, if I press "B" once, nothing happens, but if I press it many times, it will eventually type "zxcm,.,." and also [start/pretzel].

I have already ruled out "operating system flukes" by starting the computer from a bootable CD into a WinPE enviroment and experiencing the same problems. I also reset the PRAM by holding down alt+start+p+r on a USB keyboard.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to replace the whole palmrest and keyboard or might it just be something simpler?

Thanks.

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

The data cable between topcase and motherboard is one potential thing. That cable might degrade over time, I have 2008 model which worked fine until one day the only thing which worked on the topcase was the power button. Replaced the cable and it brought everything back to normal, using that machine right now.

That's one option, if you are tech savy you could try reseating the cable to see if it makes any differece.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I really am not led to believe it is the top case data cable. If it was, only certain parts would work on the top case like Zotaccian stated. However, if keys work intermittently then I am going to go and say it is the entire keyboard that needs to be replaced. The entire top case is replaced when swapping the keyboard.

It is a relatively easy repair and takes under 30 minutes. However, one must take care when removing the data cable to avoid damage to the Logic Board. Review the iFixit guide to get an idea of the repair's difficulty, and eBay is a great place for parts!

4. Member2010 thread starter macrumors regular

followup

Thank you for the input. I'll give eBay a close look and see if I can get a keyboard cost effectively (hopefully a little cheaper than the $45 I spent on that stupid battery); if not, I'll sell it as-is and cut my losses.