[Q] Launch Chrome from dock w/no home pages (just blank)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netfortius, Apr 29, 2015.

1. netfortius macrumors newbie

I apologize for this possible repeat, as I know for sure this has been answered before, somewhere, but no matter my "creative" ways of google-ing for it, I could not find the answer again (which I obviously forgot it :-( ): what is the sequence of keys to be used when launching Chrome from the dock, to open it with only one blank page, instead of the (in my case) tons of home pages, which add to the latency of having the app available.

TIA,
    ***Stefan

2. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

You can use the following site to navigate the menus:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Homepage-on-Chrome

Then set your default home page to:
    about:blank

Save and that should do it! :)

EDIT
    I was checking out some command line stuff, you can try making an alias on your dock to:

/usr/bin/open -a "/Applications/Google Chrome.app" --args 'about:blank'

That way you could leave your current Chrome setup as-is and not have to worry about changing home pages, etc etc.

--rob

3. netfortius thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to change homepages :) The problem is that my default config of Chrome has "n" home pages set and, when launched from the dock, it opens them all. A while ago I stumbled across a "hint", ref a key sequence which, which, when used in conjunction with launching Chrome from the dock, launched the app with a blank page.

The CLI shortcut may actually address the issue - thx for that! I'll give it a try.

***Stefan

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Check your Chrome settings. There should be a section called "On Startup" with three options.
    1. Open the New Tab page
    2. Contine where you left off
    3. Open a specific page or set of pages
    (This is how it appears on the Windows computer I'm using right now. I'm assuming the Mac version is the same).

Almost sounds like you have the second or third option checked. Pick the first one, and that should solve your problem.

5. netfortius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who responded. I realized I was still not clear: most of the time I want Chrome launched with a preset of pages. Under certain conditions, when Chrome is not running, I would like to launch it fast, thus the need to now add the latency induced by the default "n" pages opening.

In the last year or so I used FF for such purposes (set for blank page => launch and become available fast), but recent extensions made available in Chrome led me back to having to use it for this purpose. A long while ago I stumbled across a "press <key1> & <key2> and <click> on the Chrome in the dock to override the default home pages", but cannot recall what that was ...

Hope the above makes more sense. The alias suggestion is the route, for now.

Thx,
    ***Stefan

6. netfortius thread starter macrumors newbie

[SOLVED] Open Chrome from dock, overriding defaults

Thanks @robo456 for the original idea.

I ended up using Appify, in conjunction with the following script:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --args 'about:blank'&

Issue resolved!

Thanks again,
    ***Stefan