Q on Microsoft Office 2008 and Activation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravenvii, Oct 14, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have two computers (an iMac and a MacBook). I am about to buy Office 2008 Student + Home, but I'm wondering about the activation part. Can I install it on both computers? From what I understand, the license for Office for Windows allows you to install on one desktop and one laptop. Is that true of 2008?

If not, will activation be a problem (In other words, does the activation expire, like with Windows? Meaning, I can activate it on different hardware after about 3 to 6 months)?

Thanks in advance...

2. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
    MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC HOME & STUDENT EDITION

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    a. Licensed Device. The licensed device is the device on which you use the software. You may install and use up to three copies of the software on the licensed device(s).
    b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
    c. Network Device. You may also install one copy on a network device. You may only use that copy as described in the Remote Access section below.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'm pretty certain you get three license keys. So you should be fine to do two installations.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Correct - just checked and 3 license keys with my Office 2008 Student and Home Edition.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I quoted the exact language of the license agreement, so there's no guesswork.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I hadn't actually read your post before replying. There was only 4 minutes difference. :)