Q-Power Super Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dhartung02, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I recently received several Q-Power sample items to test and review. I am in no way affiliated with the company, and the following will be an unbiased review of the strengths, weakness, and capabilities of several of their products.

[​IMG]

Q-Power iPhone Rechargeable Case (FC5)
    [​IMG]
    Quick Overview
    Built - In USB Cable
    Changeable battery
    Apple iPhone protective case

Input Voltage: DC 5V
    Output Voltage: DC 5V
    Output Current: 700mA
    Battery Voltage/Capacity: 3.7V/ 1900mAh

Review

This product is very similar to competitor products such as the Incase Power Slider, or the Mophie Juice Pack. This is a protective case which provides 1900mAh external battery to keep your iPhone going beyond its built in capabilities. My initial impressions of the device were positive. It was nice looking with a shiny black finish similar to the iPhone itself. It has switches on the bottom of the device allowing you to select to charge using the battery or sync using the built in cable. I like the fact that it has a cable built into the case allowing you to charge the battery or sync data without having to carry any extra items with you. It is able to fully charge the iPhone almost 2 times. While charging I noticed no excessive heat up. Overall the shape and feel of the case with the iPhone in it is solid and comfortable, albeit a bit heavy which is to be expected.

[​IMG]

Upon using the device, I have noticed a few design oddities. For one, the silence switch is completely covered by the case making it inaccessible and useless. Another issue I have with this case is that the iPhone’s face sits above the rest of the case making it very vulnerable to scratches or damage if dropped. It also makes it unfit for laying the iPhone face down on the table. A slight annoyance users might find with this device is that you have to take the back off and remove the battery to access the built in cable to sync the iPhone and charge the cases battery. This is a disappointing oversight in the engineering of this device. There is also no iPhone cable port so users will be unable to take advantage of any accessories they may have.

[​IMG]

Overall this is a decent device that has some benefits and some shortfalls. It is priced considerably less than the competitors, and its design, features, and capabilities reflect that.

2. dhartung02 thread starter macrumors 6502

QIYIG Portable USB Charger Cable
    [​IMG]
    Quick Overview
    Portable iPhone Charger Cable

Review
    This might seem like a simple device at first, but it is actually quite handy. This is a small item that resembles a shuffle looking keychain charm. By pressing the button on the center of this it pulls apart into two pieces with one end being a usb cable, and the other being an iPod dock connector. This is small enough that you can throw in your bag and forget about it, and its always there when you need it.

3. dhartung02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Q-Power Mobile Portable Power (FC3)
    [​IMG]
    Quick Overview
    Buit - In USB to iPod adapter Cable
    Rechargeable battery

Input Voltage: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
    Output Voltage: DC 5.1V-5.5V
    Output Current: 650mA
    Battery Capacity: 1400mAh

Review
    This is probably one of my favorite Q-Power devices I received to review. This is a very handy all-in-one device that provides an iPhone charger, a portable battery, and a iPhone sync cable all in one conveniently designed package. This little device packs enough juice to charge the iPhone 1.5 times. It is solid, well built, and cleverly designed with the built in cable that wraps around the seam of the device. The battery also has an on/off switch to select.

So far no discernible downsides to this portable battery backup.

[​IMG]

4. dhartung02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Q-Power Mobile Portable Extra Power (FC6)
    [​IMG]

Quick Overview
    Universal Charger with multiple power tips
    Rechargeable Li-on battery
    LED Flashlight

Input Voltage: DC5.0V
    Output Voltage: DC 5.3V
    Output Current: 600mA
    Battery Capacity: 1700mAh

Review
    This is another very handy device to carry around, especially if you have multiple portable devices. The main difference between this and the FC3 is that this charger is more universal in the fact that it has a USB port and multiple plugs that allow the user to charge many different items. On the side, it also have a LED flashlight that is pretty bright and a nice little addition. This device is very compact and holds quite a bit of power allowing you to charge your iPhone completely 1.5 times.

[​IMG]

5. dhartung02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone else ever used or have any opinions on Q-Power products?

6. fredf macrumors 6502

dhartung: don't mean to be overly critical but I would hardly call what you've provided a 'review'. Lots of pictures, which are appreciated, but it's more descriptive than analytical.

I read a review of the q-power case several months ago that stated, as you did, that the covering of the ringer on/off button was a deal breaker and, apparently, the case really interferes with the signal reception.
    So, as a result, I have stayed away from all q-power products.

7. dhartung02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. It is very descriptive based on my initial findings on these devices. It will take several weeks/months of additional testing and use to provide an analytical breakdown of the batteries performance and life. In the meantime, I just wanted to share with everyone my initial thoughts and comments.