Q: Pros & cons of unique Apple IDs for each device?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by b2387692, Mar 28, 2017.

1. b2387692, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

b2387692 macrumors member

Hello all, I have a MBP and Mini Sever both running (pre-loaded) OS X 10.7.5, which I'm preparing to upgrade and I'm also considering buying my first iPhone.

For the very purpose of NOT having any of my devices speak to each other and/or share any files, etc., I use each device for different things. I use hard-wired Mini for online financials i.e. purchases, banking, etc. I use my MBP for daily web surfing, email, social media, streaming TV & movies, and I use my phone to call/text, web surf, take/view recreational pics and videos.

I've never created an Apple ID, never used iCloud, Mac app store nor iTunes store. That said, I need an Apple ID, now. What are the pros & cons of creating unique Apple IDs, for each device vs. one Apple ID for all devices? Thanks!

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Do you want to continue using them all separately? If so, unique IDs will be fine, but tedious if you want to use the same (App Store) apps between Macs.

3. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I want to continue using them all separately. I've been using Macs for 6 years and don't yet have any apps from App Store, let alone any that I use between Macs. The only reason, I need an Apple ID, at this point, is to upgrade OS.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If all you are using is the App Store / iTunes Store then I do not see any advantage in more than one Apple ID. If you never sign into iCloud, the separation of your machines is maintained. If ever you come up with a need for multiple Apple IDs, you can always create them later.

A.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Apple ID can be seen at Apple - My Apple ID and when there you can create multiple email aliases that are still tied to one Apple ID. This way the whole family could see all movies and everything bought from the iTunes Store!