Q. Re: iPhone 4 brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mc2thearson, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mc2thearson macrumors member

K. So I have a 32g iPhone 4 bought on the Canadian release day last year.

My girlfriend just bought a 16g iPhone 4 a couple days ago...

So here's the question. Why is her screen (slightly) brighter than mine?

Side by side, brightness settings maxed on both phones and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

Are my pixels fading? What gives.

Thoughts? Theories?

2. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Do you have a shield/protector on your screen?

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I assume one of the phones (probably yours) has a defective backlight. If possible, try compare your phones with a third one. The backlight should be fairly cheap to replace/repair, so look around for someone who fixes iPhones in your area, or even try do it yourself.

4. mc2thearson thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion, I will try that. If I do have a defective backlight that would obviously be covered by AppleCare (which I have) right?

Also to answer the other question from above. No screen protector on either phone, no.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Yeah it would be covered by Apple Care assuming it's not the result of water damage.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think it's a defective backlight. i think it's to be expected that some iphone screens will be brighter than others.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's why I suggested comparing it with a third phone. Either way, Apple should be able to tell him if there is a problem or not.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Why not go into your local cellfone outlet that has working demo models on display and compare yours to theirs.

I find that in the uk all the demo models brightness levels have been cranked upto 100% probably in order to catch consumers attention.

I looked at my local display ones when I noticed my screen tint was warmer than the blue hue ones on display. {The yellow tint some iphone 4's have }

I noticed that my screen brightness does not have to be up as high as the blue hue ones !

If your screen is failing in anyway then make an appointment with your apple genius bar and they will swap the unit probably for a refurb one as your over the 30 days cut off point. The refurb ones are reported to be in mint working condition so dont be worried about that !

If they do swap it then check to see if you are getting a yellow tint iphone 4 as some do not like them after using the blue hue version !