Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
I got the 6+ Verizon model. I stuck in my 5s SIM from AT&T and it works. But every now and then I get a text from AT&T saying I need to upgrade my SIM chip to get features I'm missing. I thought I would bring this up again as maybe something just happened as I got another one of these text today.

I brought my iPhone 6+ to AT&T. The person there tried to put in a new chip into my phone. He couldn't get it to work. He said it's because the phone is a Verizon phone and won't work.

I showed him it's working with my 5s SIM card. I asked what am I missing? He couldn't answer and said it shouldn't work as they don't allow a phone form another company on the network? What?

Is that true? Should I be able to get a new chip? What feature am I missing?

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I got the 6+ Verizon model. I stuck in my 5s SIM from AT&T and it works. But every now and then I get a text from AT&T saying I need to upgrade my SIM chip to get features I'm missing.

I brought my iPhone 6+ to AT&T. The person there tried to put in a new chip into my phone. He couldn't get it to work. He said it's because the phone is a Verizon phone and won't work.

I showed him it's working with my 5s SIM card. I asked what am I missing? He couldn't answer and said it shouldn't work as they don't allow a phone form another company on the network? What?

Is that true? Should I be able to get a new chip? What feature am I missing?

Apple Pay probably won't work. Not sure why the sim they gave you isn't working. It should.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
Well I know Apple Pay worked. I just tried it at a McDs. It took about 3 tries. first two times failed (Phone said it was ok, but their scanner said nothing happened) A manager came by and said try again. It worked then. I dunno if she did something or not.

----------

You mean the new SIM he tried to use? He said when he inputed the serial for the phone, it wouldn't take it because it wasn't a AT&T model.

Apple Pay probably won't work. Not sure why the sim they gave you isn't working. It should.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You mean the new SIM he tried to use? He said when he inputed the serial for the phone, it wouldn't take it because it wasn't a AT&T model.
Meh, just have him put in 000000000000000 for the IMEI. As for the new SIM, afaik, AT&T says you need a new SIM to get Voice over LTE (VoLTE)/HD Voice working.

Last edited:

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
The new sims that come with the 6+ might be more advanced than the older ones. Just ask for a new sim.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011

Quit spreading the misinformation. You do NOT need a new sim for ApplePay to work. In fact, you don't even need a sim for that to work. The Apple watch will work with Applepay with the 5 and the 5S and those phones do NOT need new sims. In fact, the Apple watch will work just fine with the current ipads that have NO sims. The NFC chip is built into the phone and watch. So you do NOT need a new sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.