Q:Thunderbolt MacMini and TB iMac both connect to Promise Pegasus?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBrowser, Jul 24, 2011.

1. MacBrowser, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

MacBrowser macrumors newbie

I'm looking for fast external storage and surely the Promise Pegasus with the Thunderbolt tech embedded has caught my eye for sure. But now the questions...

Would it be possible to connect a TB iMac (2011) to the Pegasus and daisy chain it through to the TB Mac Mini (2011) so both machines can access the Promise Pegasus?

Taking it more step further, if the above is possible (?) and one device (MacMini or iMac) was connected via gigabit ethernet on the Time Capsule, would it be possible to have wifi access to the Pegasus on a MacBook Air doing TM backup's - as an example?

I've been looking all over for the answer to the two above questions, but as the TB technology and the Promose Pegasus are both brand new, I gather it's maybe hard to get answers. Maybe someone out there is actually having a similar setup or knows the answers - and where else to ask than here at MacRumors :)

I'm very pleased to hear, and all the best to the great MacRumors community from Holland.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

No, this won't work. External drives, regardless of connection protocol, can't be shared this way. The filesystem isn't designed to work in such a way and would put your data at serious risk of loss.

3. MacBrowser thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Thunderbolt designed bi-directional and being able to daisy-chain with (any) TB device? Quoting the Apple site about Thunderbolt

"...The new Thunderbolt port lets you daisy-chain as many as six devices plus an additional display. So with just one port you can create the ultimate do-anything desktop. If you choose the new 27-inch iMac, a second Thunderbolt port lets you expand even more..."

And quoting Intel

"With a single cable, connecting a PC to multiple devices is simple, making it easy to get and see what you want, when you want it. Thunderbolt technology gives you incredible flexibility; high performance expansion is just a cable away for new and novel uses, now and in the future."

So, if your statement is correct, it seems that Thunderbolt, apart from the speed, may not be that "incredible flexible" after all?

4. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

daisy-chaining stuff means that you have 1 host only that acts as top of the chain!

5. yamaslobber macrumors newbie

maybe...

You might have figured this out already, but what you are trying to do can be achieved with simple networking. You need one gigabit capable switch, and some cat6 cable. Basically, what it comes down to is that the maximum speed of one of your machines (the SATA drive) is the ultimate bottleneck. The gigabit cable and router can handle that maximum, so even thought the Promise unit can handle much higher than normal SATA speed in a RAID config, the gigabit network will allow everything to achieve what it is intended to achieve, and it will allow everything to talk to each other all the time, which will solve all your problems, and more. Welcome to networking.

As for the airport, you will network all wireless, and base stations, etc. off the same gig router. Presto!

I like the D-Link 8 port for this, runs about $50.