QC issues White vs. Black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Isaacson, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed any pattern in the QC of the white vs the black 3G phones?

My wife has a white 3G and it is perfect but I'm considering getting one and I'm wondering if anyone has seen any type of pattern in the colors? I don't see any reason there would be any difference, but I am curious.

Also any specific reasons I should get 1 color over the other?

Thanks
    Eric

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've looked at a lot of iPhones lately and it seems like the white iPhones are built worse. Every white iPhone I tried at the Apple Store had wobbly buttons and the volume switch was sunken on one side but, most of the black ones had solid buttons and the volume switch was fine. That's just what I noticed anyway. I finally got a perfect white iPhone on my 4th replacement, so I'm good.

3. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

TheSpaz,
    Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Eric

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I have a white one and the shine on the top right back corner wore off within the first month. Likely not an issue specific to white iPhones as it is caused by me sliding it in/out of my pocket, still Apple should have chose a stronger finish.

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

fwiw, my black iPhone has been constantly in and out of my pocket every day since launch day without a case and I haven't noticed any sort of worn off shine from that

6. nima macrumors member

nima

lets see..you cant lie...black looks amazingly sexy. except over time it will lose its sheen and scratches will be more visible then the white. the white however looks alright it still looks nice and it will look nice for awhile and when people see you have a white one they know u have the high end model but with the black they have to guess. so its up to you.

7. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that info. So it is possible that the black finish may be more durable than the white (at least from the 2 reviews above)

I'm leaning towards the black but I am curious if anyone else has seen any problems that would be inherent to a specific color.

Eric

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not necessarily. The white iPhone hides ALL smudges and scratches, where as the black seems to magnify them.

See this thread for pics of the dulling finish: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=544328

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That wouldn't really really bother me as much as cracks. At least it's not a different color. Heck, it would be kind of cool to rub all of the gloss finish off the iPhone and have a cool matte-white iPhone!

10. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

Have the cracks been appearing in both colors?

Honestly color is not a huge factor for me but I do want to get one that will last and look good for a while.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yep both colors, but it seems to be less and less common now a days.