QC sucks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimKirk, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JimKirk macrumors 6502

My first I pad had some dust under the screen. The replacement unit was DOA. Genius could not get it to work in the store. He said it had the iPhone os on it and could not be activated even after a restore.

So they gave me a brand new one from stock. This new one has back light bleed and a scratch on the glass.

Then the genius was giving me attitude. He says so you have returned 3 I pads now?

Are you kidding me? He is trying to blame me for not taking defective products.

Give me a break. I am going to return as many as it takes to get one that does not have scratches or dust particles under the screen. The back light I can probably live with.

Good luck everyone.

Even my xoom (build quality is not as good as apple) did not ship scratched or with dust under the screen.

2. dmb420 macrumors member

If a genius give you lip service then simply remind him that neither of you have control over the quality of apple products and getting angry at you over it solves nothing. Remind him that you're only trying to get what you pay for and nothing more. If he gives you more ****, then ask for a manager.

3. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

Agreed. I wouldn't pay over $500 for anything unless it was perfect.

btw, the first iPad had iPhone software installed on it? How the heck did that happen??

4. zenio macrumors 6502

Seeking perfection can drive you crazy. I've yet to see a perfect laptop or phone, or ...

Better yet is excellence. Just short of perfection, it's a much more reasonable goal.

Yet that said, I completely agree that Apple is slipping and not up to their past high standards. Perhaps someday they will return to placing great importance on overall QC.

5. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

It shipped from apple that way lol.

Genius plugged it in to activate it for me and iTunes said it was an iphone.

It would not activate lol. Kept saying connect to ITunes.

He tried restoring ipad os but no luck. It still said it was an iPhone. I am guessing that the baesband activated the cellular part of the chip and from there it was no going back.

6. dmb420 macrumors member

The iphone and ipad have the same software - iOS. (obviously each has a different sub version) I think the OP may have misunderstood the genius.. Or at least thats how I interpreted it.

--edit--

Nevermind, just saw the OP's last post. Thats really weird.