QHD Monitor? Buying Process!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caliao, May 20, 2015.

1. Caliao macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I will start my first semester at University next fall which means ... I get to live in a new home! then, new home = new desk!

I currently own a BENQ 21' Monitor that I'll left at my parents' house. Following my budget, a new 4k display seems a bit too expensive and not adequate for my usage... So I went online shopping for a 1440p monitor.

The 1440p monitor will be connected with a brand new 13' Retina MacBook Pro (the one with the ForceTouch Trackpad) and the Intel Iris 6100. I will mainly do some Word and Excel work. I'll watch videos, as in Netflix is my best friend :D

First of all, I want to know if the MacBook will be strong enough for a QHD monitor. Second, I found these monitors and I want your opinion about them, if you find any pros and cons. Last, I want to know what monitor you use, if you have any suggestion or anything else that you think is relevant :)

ACER H257HU. (451,07$)
    25" WQHD (2560 x 1440)
    IPS
    DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, DVI
    4 ms

ASUS MX27AQ. (629,46$)
    27" WQHD (2560 x 1440)
    IPS
    HDMI 1.4 x 2, HDMI 1.4 /MHL 2.0 , DisplayPort 1.2
    5 ms

PS: I don't know much about all the @Mhz thing and the ms (I guess it's time response?) plus I don't know the difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0.

2. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

Go for the 4K monitor. A dell P2715Q costs about the same as what you listed for your 1440p monitors. I have the same MBP and it runs well minus lag in expose...but the system runs fluid and smooth in all other areas.

3. cody46 macrumors newbie

I will say go for ASUS MX27AQ.
    I also have the same and it is very strong..
    Try this.

4. Caliao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys!

If you're telling me OS X's UI lags a bit with a 4K Monitor, than I definitely won't buy one...

Cody, what do you like the best about the screen? or what do you mean by strong? :)