Qi Car Mount and Wired Connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MJedi, Oct 27, 2017.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello all,

Right now, I connect my iPhone to my car's stereo via USB-lightning cable, and use it for navigation. When I get the iPhone X, I want to use a Qi charging cradle, but I would still need to plug it into the car stereo for music. Does anyone know if this will work? Will the Qi charging disable the lightning connection or not? I want to use Qi charging in the car because the USB port in the car does not charge my iPhone sufficiently. So I'm hoping by having a separate charging mechanism, the iPhone X will charge better. If anyone can try this or let me know if this works, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Vctr macrumors regular

How do you plan on powering your Qi Charging cradle? If you're planning on plugging it into that same USB port, its going to be slower charging compared to your wired connection.

3. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I'll use a separate car charger, which is included in the Qi charging cradle I'm looking at.

4. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

What are you looking at?

5. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

6. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd also suggest checking out Nillkin's offerings. I've used their magnetic Qi charger and matching magnetic Qi charging iphone7 case for the past year and it's worked great.

For the iphone 8 they appear to have just done the case with the magnets and use the phone's own Qi charging.

Unlike the Scosche, the magnets in the Nillkin are at the four outside corners of the square, so there's nothing blocking the Qi charger part. As I've mentioned, I've been very happy with mine.

http://nillkin.org/smartphones-acce...accessories/nillkin-apple-iphone-8-magic-case
    http://nillkin.org/smartphones-accessories/apple-phones-accessories/apple-iphone-5-180/nillkin-2-c

8. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I would stick it to the front window like I've done with my current mount.

9. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

I’d venture to say that any charge coming through the lightning port is going to override the Qi. If I’m understanding you correctly.

I’m not sold on how I’ll handle my in-car charging when I do get my 8. Thanks for the ideas folks.