Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
Can anyone explain why, recently quicktime has been not working for some formats now its mpg, can anyone explain...???

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Can anyone explain why, recently quicktime has been not working for some formats now its mpg, can anyone explain...???

It is possible that the mpg was encoded wonky. I have dozens of various movie files on my system, and I find mpg to be the most likely to give me weird issues. Like... no matter what player I use (VLC, Quicktime, Media Player with CCCP in Windows) they do not play correctly. OK.... they will play just fine, but I can not scrub through the video, and if I press pause, it take forever for the video to start playing again... it is quite annoying.

Do you have Perian installed? Have you verified that the mpgs work via VLC?

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
Yes, I tried it on vlc and it works with no issues.

I just installed quicktime again and yeah, im having the same issue

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
Purchased the mpeg component..?, elaborate please, I am a pro user for quicktime and perian, I jsut searched for it, and it looks like a nice, think im going to download it or should I not....?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Purchased the mpeg component..?, elaborate please, I am a pro user for quicktime and perian, I jsut searched for it, and it looks like a nice, think im going to download it or should I not....?

Searched for what? Perian? If Perian, then absolutely download it. It is a great addition to Quicktime.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Can't play any files ending in .mpg, or can't play one particular file? QT Player can handle MPEG files just fine. If you have a MPEG-2 file (.m2v) you need the MPEG-2 plugin purchasable from Apple. It's possible the files was named .mpg but is actually something else, perhaps VLC will ignore file extension when playing files and that's why it's not having problems? Just speculating.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
The file ends in .mpg but when I tried opening another .mpg it worked....weird
I'm going to download it again.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
I want you to do something for us. Open this file in VLC, hit Command + I, click in the Advanced Information tab, and tell us what Stream 0 and Stream 1 say.

That will tell us what codecs we're dealing with. By telling us you have an MPEG file that won't play barely tells us anything. You must provide the codec.

Donald V

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2005
Sunny Scottsdale, AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I can usually open mpgs in QuickTime but some don't always work. For any troublesome mpgs I use MPEGStreamclip which is free.

ggopinathan

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
i'm having the same problem. If someone could help us with this one?
i installed perian too. the file plays properly with vlc player.
codec says: mpga and mpgv.
what else is missing?

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
Any solution to this problem? I have the same issue from time to time. I own Visual Hub, and usually just transcode the file to MPEG4. That fixes it. But I would like to know how to identify of the file is MPEG-2, and if so I may get the component from Apple.

Chromako

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2007
The Wired
the .mpg could mean lots of things- it's used for many formats. Some readable by Perian, some not. VLC generally has much more compatibility than Perian, though it has its weaknesses. It really annoys me, too, that the file extensions are so ambiguous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.