QMaster on Nehalem 8core - Recommended instances?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. grue macrumors 65816

Nov 14, 2003
    My old settings don't seem to be too efficient on the new machine, anyone have a recommended number of threads to run in QMaster for an 8x2.26?
  2. andynedd macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2010
    Qmaster on Nehalem

I have the same machine, OS 10.6.3 and have been unable to get Qmaster to work. I got it all set up, and when I submit a Compressor 3 job to the cluster, it just sits there and says "waiting". Seems you are farther along - it's working, but slow, right? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
  3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2008
    Barefeats did some testing and found 6 to work best: http://www.barefeats.com/nehal08.html

For those having trouble setting up, did you remember...

Qmaster prefs:
    -Mode is set to "QuickCluster with services"?
    -Under services the "share" box next to "Compressor" is checked?
    -Set the number of instances under Compressor service options?
    -Your QuickCluster has a name?
    -Allow discovery via Bonjour checked (under the "advanced" tab)
    -Did you remember to start up the cluster after changing your settings? (click "Start Sharing")

In Compressor:
    -You selected your QuickCluster instead of "This Computer" when you fired off the batch?
    -If you are only using Qmaster to use multiple cores and not an actual cluster, did you set file management in Compressor's preferences to "Never copy files to/from cluster" (DO NOT use this setting with an actual cluster!!!)
  4. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2009
    Cambridge, MA
    I had some trouble with this. First I followed the advice of BareFeats and did 6, but found that it would sit there without any feedback. As soon as I set it to 16 instances, things started flying and everything was updating properly. So I kept it at 16 and things seem to work fine.