qmasterd abused/spyware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goepie, Aug 20, 2008.

1. goepie macrumors newbie

So I am looking at Little Snitches Network Monitor and see the backgroundprocess qmasterd connecting to all kind of weird servers. qmasterd is installed with fcp/compressor, but these are not running. But qmasterd is, according to activitymonitor.
    Even after denying qmasterd all connections with little snitch, qmasterd connects with servers I don't know.

What's up? Spyware?

Attached Files:

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

To quote a post from another Forum:

One of the things qmasterd does is encode movie files that are batched by Compressor (which comes with DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut); without qmasterd, Compressor won't function. I think it performs other such background functions for other Apple programs.

There's no reason to remove it, unless it is taking up unwarranted CPU time for some reason, in which case you may want to file a bug report with Apple. However, it probably won't hurt if you do remove it, but someday something will go wrong and you'll never even remember the program you removed 6 months previously.

It's part of FCP, and is not spyware.

3. goepie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know it's part of FCP; but it is connecting to servers in hungary, germany and I don't know where; without me needing it or consenting to it. I don't know what it is sending or receiving. I would like to know...

4. Geoffrey Ingram macrumors newbie

Geoffrey Ingram

I got 2 qmasterd processes running

Hello,

I have 2 qmasterd processes running— both root— any ideas on that?

I tried trashing one out of the usr/sbin folder but it wasn't happening out of the finder (i.e. Terminal help would be appreciated! :rolleyes:).

I know it installs with several apps but do I need 2 RUNNING? I am trying to keep my CPU usage and processes down.

It is not doing anything weird or taking up too much/many resources of any kind though.

What do you think?

thx