QNap NAS + Airport Extreme....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ifti, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I'm considering a QNAP TS-659 or 559 to run in a RAID array. I would be using it as my iTunes server and Time Machine backup device, as well as my photo library and other general files etc.

I would be connecting the NAS to my AEBS via Ethernet.

1. I understand you can use it with Time Machine etc, and its also an iTunes Server. Can I therefore stream music to an AirPlay compatible device? If so, would I just use my iPhone or iPad to control the music etc?
    2. Will it be accessible over my wireless N network (5GHz) if attached to my AEBS via ethernet? I thought the AEBS only made USB devices wireless?
    3. Currently I have all my iMovie projects on a firewire800 drive, which I connect when using iMovie. Would the NAS be fast enough over wireless to use with iMovie, or would it be best to continue using a local drive for this?

2. Vetman macrumors newbie

I am able to send audio to an Airport Express from a Shared QNAP Library using iTunes. I cannot see the Shared Library on my iPad2.

Yes, it is a NETWORK based NAS device. QNAP is more like a server.
    Also not to be confused with the USB ports on the QNAP, those are for adding additional hard drives to the QNAP.

It should work, but it will be slower over wireless. Use an Ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme Base Station and it will be about the same as the FW800 drive with the flexibility to go wireless when you need to.

QNAP is the way to go for a NAS. I highly recommend them.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have a Synology 411J (see review HERE.) that has the iTunes server feature as well. They all have a big limitation: it will not allow playing of DRM'd files. This includes any movie/tv show purchases as well as iTunes music purchased before it went full-Plus a year or two ago. The only way to play these files is with a computer running iTunes (Airplayed to another device).

4. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

How does the MAC connect to the NAS server? Is it just like mapping a drive in windows?
    I Am using wireless N between my MacBook pro and airport extreme - will my speeds between the NAS and MacBook be as fast enough to work with for file transfers etc?
    Also, will wireless speeds be fast enough to stream a movie to my PS3 via wireless fine?

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It'll appear in finder in the column where flash drives and such appear. Then you open the server that appears and then open the shared folder you want to access.

Wireless N goes at about 14-15 megs max per second. The PS3 only has G but handles streaming just fine. If you're using PS3MediaServer for the streaming (nonnative encoding) it might stutter if you're using the MBP wireless for the conversion because it has to go from nas to laptop, laptop to router, router to PS3 all wireless. If you're plugged in though, you'll be fine.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Can I not stream directly from the NAS straight to the PS3 via wireless?

Still currently deciding between a QNAP TS-559+ or a Synology DS-1511+........
    The more I read about the Synology, the more Im starting to lean that way......

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No you can :). I just mentioned that in case your files aren't natively compatible with ps3 and were in need of transcoding.

I wrote a review on the Synology DS411j - see HERE. I love my nas from them...speedy, quiet, and reliable.

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I just stood up a Synology DS211 a month ago with two 2TB Samsung drives, so far it's a great little NAS and way faster than my 5 year old Thecus N2100.