Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have an APC UPS with a USB port. I am trying run a QNAP TS-251 off the UPS, along with a switch, and the mac mini (headless) running OSX server.

The QNAP is attached to the UPS with the USB port and sees it just fine. I'd like to have the mac mini get a notification when the power goes down to shut down. Their is a setting in the QNAP software to just that, and I downloaded an app called APCAGENT to run and act as a slave.

I think I am screwing up the ports somehow. I think the mini running OSX server should have a fixed ipaddress, I put that in the QNAP that will act as the master, but I don't know a specific port. APCAGENT just has a question mark and doesn't see the UPS, but Im not even sure if the QNAP and APCAGENT are supposed to work together.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a port or some forwarding i need to setup?

mecanique

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
I want that capability for my Mac server, but as far as I know it's only possible to set up from a Windows PC. Love to be wrong. Interesting that you run both the server and a NAS, don't they overlap?

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I want that capability for my Mac server, but as far as I know it's only possible to set up from a Windows PC. Love to be wrong. Interesting that you run both the server and a NAS, don't they overlap?

Im new to all this server stuff, I got it before I started playing with the OSX server. The QNAP really just shares files, maybe its a waste, but it gives me room to grow in the future if I ever decide to not use OSX server.

Plus I think PLEX is the way of the future, I have way too many iTunes drop outs in IOS when I try too share media on my iPad. I just gave up on it. The QNAP encourages me to get out of the apple infrastructure when it comes to my media library. My PLEX library is on the QNAP, the Plex Server runs on the mini OSX server.

mecanique

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
I've just started using macOS Server, doing that instead of buying a NAS. I like learning about the server but from what I've read, the NAS is a more practical solution. Interesting about PLEX, I'm going to give that a try.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I seem to be adding things to my OSX server one thing at time. Some people do it as a job, its my hobby :)

So far I have the cache up because i have a slow internet account and want to prevent downloading the same updates again, and again. It also runs printopia for AirPrint, plex, and iTunes. Right now I have 2 time machines, but I could see using it as a backup server if I go to another router in the future.

Locally someone has a 2011 mini they are selling, if I got it for the right price I would hook it up headless and just play around with open directory and users. Don't want to mess up any machines at home. Its amazing how useful screen sharing is for just playing with stuff.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Im new to all this server stuff, I got it before I started playing with the OSX server. The QNAP really just shares files, maybe its a waste, but it gives me room to grow in the future if I ever decide to not use OSX server.

Plus I think PLEX is the way of the future, I have way too many iTunes drop outs in IOS when I try too share media on my iPad. I just gave up on it. The QNAP encourages me to get out of the apple infrastructure when it comes to my media library. My PLEX library is on the QNAP, the Plex Server runs on the mini OSX server.

Run Plex Media on the QNAP using the QNAP Support document Use a QNAP Turbo NAS as Plex Media Server ... to free up resources on your server!

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
As far as I know, you will not be able to have both devices react to the UPS shut down signal. You need a UPS with a network adapter then it communicates to other devices via your LAN. It's probably more important to have the NAS gracefully shut down so I'd leave that connected.

There may be software that works around this but I don't know of any.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Run Plex Media on the QNAP using the QNAP Support document Use a QNAP Turbo NAS as Plex Media Server ... to free up resources on your server!

I realize that, but right now the server isn't used for a lot and has much more processing power than the QNAP if I do have to transcode anything. Maybe if I ever upgrade the memory in it.
[doublepost=1487219516][/doublepost]
As far as I know, you will not be able to have both devices react to the UPS shut down signal. You need a UPS with a network adapter then it communicates to other devices via your LAN. It's probably more important to have the NAS gracefully shut down so I'd leave that connected.

I thinks that might be best. Besides I want the OS X server to start back up after a power failure, I can set that in the settings. If the OS X server shuts down from a signal from the NAS it won't restart when the power comes on.

I have decide whats best for the NAS also; just shut off once the power shuts off, or have it restart. I think I read it safer to stay shut off.

Longer Lane

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Throwing my $0.02 into the discussion:

Here is my setup:
  • APC UPS unit with network card
  • APC connected to my main Mac mini Server via USB
  • That mini is my file server, does network backups, etc.
  • The UPS settings are controlled in the Energy Saver preference panel (becomes active once the UPS is connected via USB)
  • Once the Mac initiates a soft-shutdown triggered by the UPS, it will disconnect all the hard drives and once the power goes out, no harm is done.
  • The network card allows to send SNMP information across the local network. I have started playing around with this, but not seriously enough to get somewhere. It's just out there.
A 2011 mini has plenty of power to act as a full-blown server. In my view, attach your hard drives to it. Investigate if the QNAP can act on SNMP traffic.

LL

Reactions: mecanique
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.