Qnap to Synology transition questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Jun 29, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm thinking of selling my QNAP and buying a Synology NAS but first I have some questions based on my needs.

Has anyone done this, change to a Qnap from Synology? How's the transition. Is the admin screen much different?

Another question is there any issues in setting up the Synology for Time Machine. It seems I have to manually set up the TimeMachine backup in Qnap, i.e., using the terminal to
    mkdir /Volumes/TMBackup
    mount -t afp afp://TimeMachine:TimeMachine@10.0.1.15/TMBackup /Volumes/TMBackup

I'd like a better solution then having to manually do this.

Is it running a proprietary OS, or Linux?
    Is ssh available?

I may have more questions but right now I'm thinking Synology may offer a better solution for my needs, i.e., better Mac support.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hey, good decision :)

Time Machine is an actual OS feature on the Syno DSM. You just select a folder to enable the network protocol, then it will appear the same way the a Time Capsule does to OSX.

It's a proprietary version of Linux, and I believe SSH is available..I don't use that feature though.

If you'd like to poke around the admin interface, PM me. You can teamviewer to me and I'll show you around.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks guys, I saw the demo and I was playing with it last night. Can either one of you state the performance of DSM, that is my QNAP, its very sluggish. I suspect the cpu is overwhelmed by the new firmware version. Not a huge issue just curious.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I had the DS411+II until recently..their 4-bay model. 1GB Ram and a 1.8Ghz Intel processor. I never saw it peak above 30% usage during normal file use. I maxed it out a bit when I tried running Plex server on there. Worked terrific for 90% of files, but the Atom-based processor just couldn't handle 1080p Transcoding (not at all surprised).

Overall, for almost every other conceivable use, they can easily handle most tasks. I haven't tried my new DS1512+ with Plex Server yet, but the processor is only 2.13Ghz Atom-based..so I don't think that it would be able to handle transcodes either.

One thing that I wish it could handle. The Download Manager in the DSM doesn't support a blacklist site like Transmission can. There's an install for DSM available, but it hasn't been updated in some time. If it turns out that Plex can handle it, the download manager is the only thing that I won't be able to do on it.