QNAP TS-419P vs Synology DS410 software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by suppose, Oct 27, 2010.

1. suppose macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide on a NAS and have narrowed it down to two, QNAP TS-419P vs Synology DS410.

Basically I'll be using this as a file backup and media server. I am thinking I will set it up as a RAID 5 with 2TB disks. I am especially interested in using it as a centralized video server for my PS3.

Both devices seem equally capable of working as a RAID and fileserver (or does one have a noticeable advantage hardware wise?). I have a feeling what it boils down to is software. Does anyone have any experience with either/both that can shed some light on how they are? Is one superior than the other? Do either do any transcoding of video/audio? Is it possible to put DVD rips up (created by RipIt) and have them playback on the PS3?

2. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

Are you still searching for a NAS? I have also been researching the choices available for Mac users. I'm having trouble deciding between QNAP and Synology. I need Time Machine backups to work, both appear to offer that. The QNAP is more expensive but offers more hardware options. I attached a pdf of some of the ones I'm looking at. Anyone with a recommendation?

Attached Files:

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I have the Synology DS409 at home and had a QNAP TS-809U-RP at work.

Software wise, they are both pretty similar. I could go from one to the other without even thinking really.

I would recommend both systems.

The reason I went for the Synology at home was due to cost. Both systems are so similar that I didn't see the point in the extra cost of the QNAP when in my eyes the Synology did the same things just as well.

I have 4 x 2TB WD disks in mine. Not had a problem.

The reason I recommended the QNAP at work is due to the fact I could put 8 disks in it at once

4. suppose thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually went with the Synology ds411+. It had some pretty impressive hardware in it. I got a good deal at Overstock.com. You get 8% back when you sign up for a Club O member ship. They also had the ds410.

But I agree that both the Synology and the QNAP system seem pretty similar.You can actually view each of the GUIs here:
    http://qnap.com/liveDemo.asp
    http://www.synology.com/us/products/demo/index.php

Looks like at least some of the features of the QNAP are not even available on the Mac. It also seemed in the iTunes settings that the QNAP only syncs music whereas the Synology says in its settings that it will sync audio and video files with iTunes.