Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hi everyone I would like to generate a QR code to allow my guests to scan it with their camera which joins them to my guest Wi-Fi network.

I was able to generate a QR code using Workflow but it simply stores the password. It is my understanding that some websites will generate a QR code that not only generate a QR code but will join them to my guest Wi-Fi network.

I was able to generate a QR code using Workflow but it simply stores the password. It is my understanding that some websites will generate a QR code that will actually log your guests onto your Wi-Fi network.

I’m a little apprehensive to put my Wi-Fi credentials into the websites that do this. Is there anyway to generate this QR code on device? Using Workflow?

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I’m a little apprehensive to put my Wi-Fi credentials into the websites that do this. Is there anyway to generate this QR code on device? Using Workflow?
These websites won't know where your network is, and your wifi password should be one that isn't used elsewhere, so there's no real risk there.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
https://www.qifi.org

I've used this site to make the code with no issues. Like chrfr said, unless they save your password and drive over to your house, there is no issue.

I have this QR code on a small chalkboard in the kitchen and visitors use it. I noticed if you use a QR code app in iOS to read the code it seems to just make a link, but if you just use the iOS 11 camera app it pops up a "Join" box you can tap to join the networks.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
You can do this locally. That is what I did. There is a program for Linux called qrencode. It has been ported to Mac. I installed it using MacPorts. It may be available via Homebrew as well. Anyway, the program is really simple to use and you can find examples for WiFi.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
You can do this locally. That is what I did. There is a program for Linux called qrencode. It has been ported to Mac. I installed it using MacPorts. It may be available via Homebrew as well. Anyway, the program is really simple to use and you can find examples for WiFi.

Thanks for the tip perhaps next time. I couldn’t hold out and used the website.

Reactions: neliason
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.