Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Since BiteSMS, Messages and Auki are not updated for iOS 8, the only option that I see is Messages+. Has anyone used it and how do you like it.

I know iOS has quick reply now, but in order to have it work you have to have previews on and the message shows on the lock screen.

Also the lack of quick compose in iOS bugs me.

Is Messages+ the only option right now?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Since BiteSMS, Messages and Auki are not updated for iOS 8, the only option that I see is Messages+. Has anyone used it and how do you like it.

I know iOS has quick reply now, but in order to have it work you have to have previews on and the message shows on the lock screen.

Also the lack of quick compose in iOS bugs me.

Is Messages+ the only option right now?

MessageHeads is pretty good. You have to use it with activator to set a quick compose action, but it's a solid tweak.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm also using MessageHeads. It's not bad. I basically configured it to behave as much like bite's QC/QR as I could, and to disappear the "heads" the moment I hit send, as I found them to be in the way. It's nowhere near as polished as bite, but it's better than the stock implementation.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I was thinking of buying Messages+, but maybe I should get ISX too? 3 bucks more.

If I get ISX and don't like it can I just remove it and install messages+ as a stand alone tweak?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for this. MessageHeads is the best thing I've tried, also.

Needs "Favorites" or at least "Recents" to appear at quick compose, though.

What I did to approximate bite's QC was to not set an action for quick compose, only for hide/show--that, in bite tradition, I tied to tapping the volume HUD.

So on mine, I tap the volume down button, tap the ringer icon that appears, and a list of my convos then appears in reverse chronological order, most recent on top. Tap on convo of choice & go from there. I suppose if I need to start a totally new convo, I'll need to use the actual messages app, but I rarely do that.

I'm not certain how I did it, but I almost never get an actual "head" showing up, which is exactly the way I want it. Messages appear in banners, I click on them and the MessageHeads convo screen pops up.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What I did to approximate bite's QC was to not set an action for quick compose, only for hide/show--that, in bite tradition, I tied to tapping the volume HUD.

So on mine, I tap the volume down button, tap the ringer icon that appears, and a list of my convos then appears in reverse chronological order, most recent on top. Tap on convo of choice & go from there. I suppose if I need to start a totally new convo, I'll need to use the actual messages app, but I rarely do that.

I'm not certain how I did it, but I almost never get an actual "head" showing up, which is exactly the way I want it. Messages appear in banners, I click on them and the MessageHeads convo screen pops up.

Good tip...thanks!

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Well, I tried out ItelliscreenX and Messages+.

When you have both tweaks installed together quick reply from the lock screen with previews off works, but if you just have messages+ installed it doesn't work.

Dang $10 buck just to get one feature that I'm really looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.