Qrafter for iPhone and iPod Touch, a free QR Code Scanner

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bukalemun, Feb 2, 2011.

1. bukalemun, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

bukalemun macrumors member

Hi everyone,

As QR Codes started to take off in 2010, you will probably hear about them more and more in the following months. So, I would like to introduce Qrafter, a free QR Code scanner for iPhone to you.

Qrafter can scan QR Codes and interpret their contents. You can get updated information about its capabilities on its App Store description page.

An app is nothing without its users. Qrafter will be updated and maintained according to its users' feedback and feature requests, so I would appreciate every bit of feedback from you.

You can download Qrafter from this link.

Cheers to all!

UPDATE: Qrafter has just been updated to v1.2 and can open vCards directly from Safari or inside its own web browser. Its vCard parser is the first complete vCard parser that can download vCards.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'll be honest, I wanted to try your app because TapReaders icon is butt ugly and yours fits in with the stock iOS apps. I can happily say that this app is far better than I thought it would be.

You put some real thought into it and I love your Info section. I especially like the 2D Code Examples which give users an idea of what different codes look like, what they are and what will and won't scan.

Also, the Planned Updates section is what every dev should have in their app. I was going to suggest that because the name is Qrafter (a play on crafter I assume) you may want to add the ability to create codes but I see you've already planned on doing that.

Really, I'm impressed. Great work!

3. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Well, Qrafter had a lot of planning and testing of other apps ahead of its development. Actually I was bored that other apps' weren't as complete as I needed and I was getting tempted about iPhone development, so I chose to create myself a challenge with Qrafter. It's my first app.

You are correct on the name play, and I already have my own generator since 2006, which proved to be more than successful. I can proudly say that it is regarded as one of the best 2D Code generators on the internet. So I'll put its abilities to work on future versions of Qrafter also.

I have added some new features to v1.1 which is waiting for approval, so there is more to come.

Thanks again for taking your time to reply, it's much appreciated.

4. trickyred macrumors member

That is fantastic!! I can't believe how quick it recognises the code!!

Well done!!

5. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks trickyred!

I hope you can review Qrafter on the App Store as well. :)

6. trickyred macrumors member

Just doing it now!!

7. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

8. trickyred macrumors member

I have written the review and submitted it several times but it's not appearing - does Apple have to approve it??

9. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps it's not realtime and will be updated in a few hours.

10. trickyred macrumors member

Ah, it's in now!!

11. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Which country were you from?

PS: v1.2 will have a feature that even Apple's own Safari doesn't have :)

12. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Qrafter v1.2 is on the App Store

Qrafter has been updated to v1.2 and can now download vCards! It is the only app on App Store that can completely parse vCards including photos.

13. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Qrafter 2.0 with a complete generator is released

I haven't notified this thread for some time, but Qrafter has been updated a lot since March. Yesterday it had its biggest update so far and is now at v2.0. It can generate QR Codes with various content types using its offline QR Code generator, save or send them and even print them with its AirPrint support.

You can download it at http://qrafter.com/get/

14. limocart macrumors newbie

I was looking for anything like.

bukalemun thanks : )

15. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks limocart. I hope you can review it on the App Store if you like it. :)

16. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Qrafter updated to 3.0 and includes iPad support

Hi again folks,

Qrafter has been updated again and now includes a brand new iPad design. It is the first QR Code app that is designed from scratch for iPad instead of taking the iPhone version and making it bigger.

You can download it from http://qrafter.com/get/

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Does anyone really use QR codes for anything useful? I've had this app quite a while and have never come across an occasion to use it.

18. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

businesses have begun to use them as coupons and for various other discounts.

I'm not so sure about their use yet either, yes it provides dynamic advertising, but they could have otherwise just shown the information somewhere.

A clever man would get a thrill out of implementing them however.

19. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

Just go to http://qrafter.com/ to see a glimpse of what can be done with QR Codes.

20. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I understand you "could" do lots of stuff....but if the technology doesn't get sufficient user traction (which it doesn't seem to be) it'll never take off. I remember the "Cue Cat" and had two of them...this seems like a better implementation of that concept, but isn't catching on any better with the masses.

21. bukalemun thread starter macrumors member

It is gaining the traction faster than you think. My generator site currently has ten times the visitor count of this time last year. Most people think it is a gimmick at the moment, but I am sure it will be used more and more in the near future.