Q's about re-installing Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marcel-v, Apr 11, 2007.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Hi, I am relatively new to mac and I have been having problems with finder after maybe 10 months. Finder seems to crash in a loading state, ie. the loading icon just twirls around and nothing happens until I go to finder and re-launch. It always happens when I highlight more than one file in finder. I also have Windows XP with Bootcamp on there, could this be why?

SO

Should I re-install Mac OS X? Is there a way to do this without deleting all my files?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can do what's called an "Archive & Install." This will reinstall OS X and all of the apps that came on your machine, but it preserves all of your files & folders (and preferences if you so choose).

...Of course, you already have a backup, right? :)

3. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that after having installed Windows on a partition I revert back to just having one for Mac OS X. However I'm not sure if this is when finder started crashing. What kinds of problems to people have when partitioning?

4. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

Yeah, I already have a backup done. I guess my dillema is just whether or not I should have Windows on there, with all the hassle of partitioning. Can creating partitions and then reverting back impact on the main one?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Partitioning shouldn't be a problem (esp. if you used Boot Camp to partition), assuming you left enough Hard Drive space for OS X to function properly. ...But of course, this shouldn't matter anymore since you've deleted that partition.

And no, restoring shouldn't cause any problems either.

How much free HD space do you have?

6. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, great. I wanted to to tinker around with Windows Vista, see what all the hype is about.

How much space? Oh geez... 250GB all up. after backing everything up I've got 90% free! :) But the finder problem is still there. I've never had a free space issue before, so I guess that's not it.

I'm half way through to re-installing everything with a clean disk, can't wait to see it in action again! :)

Cheers for your help :)