Q's about the imac - your thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ashmanspice, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Ashmanspice macrumors regular

I like many others have held off from buying an imac in case of an update today. However, thinkin im gonna just buy one tmrw and just get on with it! Ive just got a couple of questions first, as I am a complete newby and this will be my first mac.

If i buy the current one will it be compatible with new stuff comin out in the relatively near future ie. Snow leopard and watever else may be iin the pipeline. would like this comp to last me 2 or 3 years at least..

I will be using it for general stuff like work, music etc however do a bit of autocad work from time to time, which spec would you recommend? I have no need for a big screen but what abt everything else ie. graphics (i dnt kno anythin abt technical stuff!)

thanks for any help

Ash:cool:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Snow Leopard? Yes, when it comes out
    2-3 years? Yes, no problem

My rule of thumb, buy the best you can afford
    You will rarely regret buying better, but you will often regret buying less

Upgrade the RAM with 3rd party RAM

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The cheapest iMac will be fine for you, just upgrade to 2GB RAM and you'll be all set.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Here are the requirements for AutoCAD
    I would say the video game is suitable for light work.

5. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat with you...I'm about 80% sure I might just pull the trigger tomorrow morning and purchase an iMac. I'm tired of waiting....on the other hand, I've waited this long, and I might be able to squeeze a little bit of life out of my PC

I'm hoping since iLife is shipping with the iMac's at the end of the month maybe there might be an update to the iMac at that time as well...who knows, but I might at least wait until the end of the month.

6. Ashmanspice thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers for your help, I do have to do a bit of 3D modeling, do you think I would needs a better graphics card for this?

Its a tuff one for sure! Ive waited a couple of months and really fighting the urge to go out tmrw morning like you. The current iMac is probably plenty good enough for what i will use it for but does it really offer value for money until it gets an update?

7. pktojd macrumors newbie

I bought a new 2.8/24 in December. I Read all of the rumors/wishful thinking/speculation about a new one being released at MW '09, and most of that was about a shorter chin, or a new enclosure, or a matte screen, i.e. nothing going to the guts of it. I ended up buying refurb and got the 500g 2.8 for $500 less.

Yes, when a new one is released, yours will not the be newest. But the next one is not likely to make the current gen obsolete (like Intel chips and osX did to my laptop) or be that much of a jump in speed. And, if the mac book is a predictor, it may even lose firewire. (Another reason I bought when I did.)

Buy now. Use it. Enjoy it.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No! Unless you're doing extremely high poly models (which I doubt you are if you're just doing a "bit") then you'll be fine with the base model.

9. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I think the current iMac is plenty enough for me too, but I talked to my brother a few minutes ago, and he made a good point. Here we are about to drop $1500-2000 maybe on a current iMac, then a few months down the road Apple updates the iMac's. Now we just paid some good money for an outdated system. Like one of the previous posts stated, the change will probably not make the current iMac's obsolete, but I might be a little pissed off in a few months knowing I spent my loot for an outdated computer. I wish there could have been something, just anything about a release date. I'm just a bit upset because I was excited to buy my first iMac, but whatever....s**t happens!!!!