QT/iTunes+5.1=no (right?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtfield, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

So, I recently bought a 5.1 speaker set up to use with my computer set up and I've been searching around and all the reports on this subject appear to me to be a bit murky. But I think the bottom line is iTunes and Quicktime (I have pro) do not support 5.1... I just wanted to make sure that was still correct? and ask if there has been any suggestion that 5.1 will be supported by quicktime/iTunes in the near future? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm the first to admit I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised to find iTunes or Quicktime could output 5.1, since I'm not aware of any Mac that has 5.1 output on it.

3. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a bit confused by your post, because dvd player on my mbp outputs via the digital audio out through an optical cable to full 5.1 DD surround sound. So the hardware is in the computer to do it... just not used for quicktime or iTunes...

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I believe your limitation is your source material. If you were to find a QuickTime file with 5.1, or were to use AAC or Lossless mixed in 5.1 it should work. Unfortunately, MP3s are at a maximum 2.1, same goes for most QT files.

TEG

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm pretty sure that AAC isn't 5.1 either.

and yes you need to find the right source material first.

6. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

my ripped material are films from handbrake that i encode with 5.1 so i believe they should be able to output it... do i just not have my setting right?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like I said, I'm no expert.... but you're telling me the audio out that goes to my speakers or headphones can carry 5.1 DD surround sound, and not just 2-channel stereo? How could that be connected to the 5.1 inputs on a stereo receiver? And why doesn't an Airport Express have the same 5.1 output capability? That would be great!

8. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep that's what i'm telling you! your headphone jack is an optical digital audio out plug. in order to connect it u need an optical cale and adapter (cost me a total of $10 with shipping for both). here is the link to what you need http://www.amazon.com/TOSLINK-TO-OP...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216345637&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Optical...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216345666&sr=8-1

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Logitech 5.1 speakers have matrix mode which emulates a 2.1 source to 5.1.

but if you want true 5.1 audio from a 2.1 source you are going to have to connect a 5.1 receiver between the Mac and the speakers to spilt the audio into 6 signals (5 satellite speakers + sub). you can either do this using digital or analogue connections. digital has the advantage of sounding better and only using one cable.

the receiver is what i am confused about… all the ones i have seen are huge and have literally hundreds of analogue inputs i would never use. is there a digital 5.1 receiver made for computer use that is a bit smaller and has fewer analogue inputs?

10. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought the logitech z5500 and it comes with a little control panel that acts like a receiver for the speaker. very small and works great

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ oh k yeh that model has digital 5.1 encoding so you dont need a reciever. its just a bit too expensive for me and doesnt have tweeters. so im looking for inexpensive digital 5.1 speakers plus a digital reciever that isnt huge.