QT Pro, Divx, and iMovie - working together

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kpkilburn, May 17, 2010.

1. kpkilburn macrumors newbie

I have some files from a CVS disposable camcorder that are Divx encoded. I got them to play on my Mac with the Divx codec and/or Perian, but I can't import them into iMovie.

Will QuickTime Pro solve this problem by allowing me to convert to a format iMovie likes?

Is there a freeware solution involving less than two steps?

Batch conversions would also be nice.

2. kpkilburn thread starter macrumors newbie

So, one more time, does Quicktime Pro convert Divx into a format that iMovie will accept for editing? I can't seem to find the info on the Apple QuickTime page.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I imagine ffmpegx could handle converting it to an iMovie friendly format. It's free.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

AFAIK you should be able to import them into iMovie so I would try to find out what is stopping that from happening.

As free alternatives to Quicktime Pro you can try MPEG Streamclip or QTAmateur first.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iMovie like QuickTime Pro is a QuickTime application. With certain exceptions, iMovie can handle just about anything that QuickTime Pro can view.

As always, install Perian. You may also want to install the DivX coec.

6. kpkilburn thread starter macrumors newbie

I've installed Perian and the Divx CODEC, which allow me to watch Divx (.avi) in Quicktime. I assumed that iMovie would import anything that Quicktime could play, but for some reason it won't allow importing .avi files (the only ones I have are Divx-encoded).

Does it sound more like a system glitch rather than a limitation with iMovie?

7. kpkilburn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll check those out. The sites claim that they convert Divx to other formats.

8. mclarke macrumors newbie

QT pro and mp4

Hi I have mp4 movies on dvd transferred from camcorder. I can't read them on my macbook pro. I've downloaded vlc, divx flip4mac and windows media player but nothing is opening it. I'm wondering if QT pro would read the mp4 files?