QT problem

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by SRossi, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SRossi macrumors regular

Hi all,

Is it just me or is QT mot installing on a SL machine?

When I go to install it it gets to the "Validating Packages" part of the process and then does not respond? I already have Xcode installed, perhaps this is a problem?

It installs fine on my external HDD but does not compile the applications.

All help is appreciated.

Stephen

2. mslide macrumors 6502a

You mean the QT framework? I've seen several reports of the latest QT sdk not installing on Snow Leopard. Honestly, I've never tried installing it, on SL, using their installer. I always download the source and build it. I was able to build it from source without any troubles. I've been getting mixed results with QT 4.5.2 on SL. For one, it is not officially supported so you get tons of warnings about that. I also get random errors printed out to the console when I run my programs. I've also noticed some problems when using QT + OpenGL (Screen tearing or something like that).

Hopefully all these problems will go away with 4.6.

This is actually the main reason why I haven't updated my home iMac to SL yet, although I did upgrade my Macbook.

3. SRossi thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhhh thanks man. Wasn't actually needing QT but it seemed a nice compiler as I would like to learn more OpenGL and using a dedicated C++ app seemed appropriate. I will download the source and try and build from there.

Thanks for your reply :).

Stephen

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how familiar you are with OpenGL, especially when it comes to using OpenGL from within a Qt application, but http://nehe.gamedev.net/ has a bunch of good tutorials on opengl. Also, it looks like someone has started posting Qt/C++ ports of his tutorials. Look at the bottom of some of the beginner lessons and you'll see them. It's pretty easy. You basically just subclass QGLWidget and implement the initializeGL, resizeGL and paintGL routines.