QTime Pro wont export, it crashes

Tedsterb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
WA
So I have Quicktime Pro and when I go to "Export", the program just closes down. I guess crashes maybe. What is up?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
So I have Quicktime Pro and when I go to "Export", the program just closes down. I guess crashes maybe. What is up?

This isn't a system that has been upgraded from a previous version of OS X is it?

Does it matter what the source video is that you're trying to export, or does it just crash on anything?

Tedsterb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
WA
Well it wont let me do anything, i go to export and boom, it closes down. Yea i tried different video clips, mp4, mov.... it closes on each one. Mac OS is 10.5.8
Thanks.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
prefs

have you gone into disc utility and verified and corrected system preferences?
I just think that if it was working fine before and now it isn't, that might be it...

Oh, and have you installed any new codecs or programs that deal with codecs? such as VLC or Perian?

Tedsterb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
WA
You mean verify permissions with Disk Utility? Yea I did that. What do you mean by prefs? Is there something I should do with prefs?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
aw damn

I am not the best canidate for this but I know that in library prefrences there's a pref file assosiated with alot of programs. IE - airport

it's user>library>prefrences
it will say com.apple.quicktimeXXXXX

it will varying what it says but remove them onto your desktop and restart. report back after that.
be sure to save them. MOST pref files re-create themselves.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
have you tried converting other files other than the ONE file you are trying to change? some FLV files give me problems. what is the file type you are changing? have you updated through apple update?
Have you tried handbrake to convert?

Tedsterb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
WA
Yea i deleted the pref files, still no change. I'm working with mov and mp4 files, and all of them don't export. Does anyone use Quicktime X? Is that a full version?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
There is a difference between QuickTime Pro and QuickTime X. X is limited in its export capabilities. Do they both crash when trying to export.

I'd use the Console.app in the Utilities folder to see if any messages are being logged regarding the crash.

Tedsterb

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
WA
Yea the console says this: 4/4/10 8:50:42 AM com.apple.launchd[79] ([0x0-0x17017].com.apple.quicktimeplayer[139]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 140 PPID 1 vdecoder

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

These add ons could be Perian or Flip4Mac or perhaps another software add on. I haven’t figured out which one of these add ons is the problem exactly, and it just might be a combination of these add ons. All I do know is that you have to let QuickTime along and not add to it period. I know, you say these programs aren’t an add to QuickTime. But really they are, because they work in connection with Quicktime.

Nonsense. Flip4Mac, Perian, DivX, and numerous other QuickTime codecs coexist without issue. This is not to say that some nitwit cannot configure his/her system in some novel way. However, codecs that are installed using standard MacOS X methods should have no issue.

Back to the drawing board.