QTime Pro wont export, it crashes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tedsterb, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Tedsterb macrumors member

So I have Quicktime Pro and when I go to "Export", the program just closes down. I guess crashes maybe. What is up?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

This isn't a system that has been upgraded from a previous version of OS X is it?

Does it matter what the source video is that you're trying to export, or does it just crash on anything?

4. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

Well it wont let me do anything, i go to export and boom, it closes down. Yea i tried different video clips, mp4, mov.... it closes on each one. Mac OS is 10.5.8
    Thanks.

5. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

I just upgraded to Pro a few days ago and it was exporting then...

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

prefs

have you gone into disc utility and verified and corrected system preferences?
    I just think that if it was working fine before and now it isn't, that might be it...

Oh, and have you installed any new codecs or programs that deal with codecs? such as VLC or Perian?

7. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

You mean verify permissions with Disk Utility? Yea I did that. What do you mean by prefs? Is there something I should do with prefs?

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

aw damn

I am not the best canidate for this but I know that in library prefrences there's a pref file assosiated with alot of programs. IE - airport

it's user>library>prefrences
    it will say com.apple.quicktimeXXXXX

it will varying what it says but remove them onto your desktop and restart. report back after that.
    be sure to save them. MOST pref files re-create themselves.

9. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

have you tried converting other files other than the ONE file you are trying to change? some FLV files give me problems. what is the file type you are changing? have you updated through apple update?
    Have you tried handbrake to convert?

10. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

Yea i deleted the pref files, still no change. I'm working with mov and mp4 files, and all of them don't export. Does anyone use Quicktime X? Is that a full version?

11. xStep macrumors 68000

There is a difference between QuickTime Pro and QuickTime X. X is limited in its export capabilities. Do they both crash when trying to export.

I'd use the Console.app in the Utilities folder to see if any messages are being logged regarding the crash.

12. Tedsterb thread starter macrumors member

Yea the console says this: 4/4/10 8:50:42 AM com.apple.launchd[79] ([0x0-0x17017].com.apple.quicktimeplayer[139]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 140 PPID 1 vdecoder

13. xStep macrumors 68000

Have you tried restarting the computer?

Have you tried removed any ad-ons such as Perian, etc? Then do a restart.

14. designcodec, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. Flip4Mac, Perian, DivX, and numerous other QuickTime codecs coexist without issue. This is not to say that some nitwit cannot configure his/her system in some novel way. However, codecs that are installed using standard MacOS X methods should have no issue.

Back to the drawing board.