QTL files. A little help?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by P-Worm, May 9, 2008.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have a link on one of my pages that leads to a file being opened in a QT player. After spending the whole morning reading up on the subject, I am officially stuck and turn here for help.

My .qtl file plays fine on my computer, but it won't open the video when I upload everything to the web. Following is the links to the page where the file is supposed to play from, the video file, and the qtl file. Note that not all of the videos are uploaded so there are some dead links. The link considered right now is the "Large" link on the bottom left video with the harp and violin.

HTML page
    QuickTime .mov file
    QTL file

For reference, this is the code in the QTL file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <?quicktime type="application/x-quicktime-media-link"?>

<embed
    	autoplay="true"
    	controller="true"
    	type="video/quicktime"	
    	quitwhendone="false"
    	loop="false"
    	src="http://home.comcast.net/~pworm420/videos/reception1L.mov"
    	/>
    Thanks for any help you can give.

P-Worm

2. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Thanks for the link

I can't get any of their videos to load either. So this is a problem with the ISP? Weird because I have seen this work hundreds of times, just not on this site or my own.

Does applying this .htaccess file solve my problem? I don't know anything about them, so I did some reading and came across this:

Compromising my security sounds like a bad thing.

Am I in way over my head? I thought this would be fairly straight forward. Should I just direct link to the file?

P-Worm

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You're misreading it. It's saying it would compromise security if it was readable by a browser, which it can't, and thus secure.

Using .htaccess files, while complicated looking, are good ways to solve these types of issues. At the site I linked, when I click on the links with the qtl files I get a download prompt and I can have it open in Quicktime, which I believe is the effect you're aiming for. I'm using Firefox. Though, at you site, when I click on the link for the qtl file I see the raw text of the file. I'd try the .htaccess file trick first to see if it resolves things.