QTrax - A new File Download Service - Free Downloads

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pilotError, Jan 27, 2008.

1. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There's a new service that has compatible DRM with iTunes fairplay supposedly...

http://www.optimum.net/Finance/AP/Article?articleId=377853&categoryId=18

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I had some questions about this site in another thread, but due to repetitious threads, I'll repost it here:

Can ads really pay all the bills?

Assuming the record companies only want 10 cents per song (and we know they actually want a lot more than this) downloaded, even a single download of each song currently listed (25 million) would exceed $2.5 million. Add operating costs, legal, etc, and things can really start to get expensive.

Suppose the site proves very successful (and why wouldn't it if it's offering free music), would ad revenue still be able to support that many downloads?

Just a curious question on my part; I really would like to see the site succeed (if it's all legit and the music selection is good).

4. pilotError thread starter macrumors 68020

pilotError

I think they'll do anything to break the stranglehold Apple has on the market. Including everyone but Apple able to sell DRM Free music and a free content site, even if it never makes a dime.

If they can attract enough customers, the advertisers will pay.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It'll fail.

It's still P2P, meaning this system is susceptible to viruses and poor-quality music just like the other systems already in place. On top of that, there's very restrictive DRM which prevents users from burning CDs and traces the number of times each track has been played.

Considering this, why should users change? Those who continue to download illegally will continue to do so, and those who buy their music will continue to do so.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The question is how much. If this site were to become very popular, with say more than a million downloads per day, do you suppose advertisers will be willing to pay more and more? At some point advertising reaches its peak, at which point the market can bear no more.

I honestly don't believe that this business model can survive without some money being from the consumer's end. There's no such thing as a free lunch after all.

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Qtrax down?

Can anyone else access this? It seems to be offline.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i got it downloaded but i am having trouble getting my account even setup- they are having issues-i dont know-if it really works with ipods then it might work-who knows

9. dyelton macrumors newbie

The Mac beta of this is supposedly going to be released today but it isn't available for download yet. I wonder if today will go by without a Mac beta being released?

10. tick629 macrumors newbie

i wondered the same thing

i sent an email to the support team at qtrax...i wonder when they will reply

11. dyelton macrumors newbie

I checked their site this morning and they have changed the release date for the OSX version to May 18th. Ugh.

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sorry for digging up a old thread, but I was just gonna start a thread on QTrax but found this one...

The Mac version hasent been released yet! :eek:

I think this sounds interesting and if it takes off I will probably use it as long as the DRM is not too restrictive.