QTSS Performance

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by tonyf, Nov 4, 2010.

1. tonyf macrumors newbie

I'm running OS X Leopard Server on an Intel XServe and trying to use it for live streaming of in-office events but performance is terrible outside the network. I've tried making lots of adjustments for the encoding etc. but it always looks great on the LAN but terrible via outside connections even when they are super fast. The right ports are open because I can get to the streaming video from the outside, it just pauses every couple of seconds for about 5 seconds so it is unwatchable. My only conclusion is that the LAN router is not up to the task and is slowing the video down to a crawl. Any thoughts on this issue? Is there a way to use the second Ethernet connection on the Xserve to connect direct directly to the WAN specifically for QTSS? Would this solve the problem. Are there any magic router settings I should look into?

2. thankins macrumors 6502

Two things jump out at me that could be a problem

1. Your router could be the issue - the data could be bottlenecking there
    2. Your upload connection speed - if it isn't very fast you would see that streaming/buffering issue you mentioned. I would think you would need at least a 5-6 meg upload speed for the streaming to work well